We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet & Charming rooms in Vaud area? Hotel Masson or ??

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet & Charming rooms in Vaud area? Hotel Masson or ??

I'm searching for a romantic room that is Quiet at night for sleeping in late June. My husband and I would prefer a place with some character and charm. We especially enjoy locally owned, family-run places where possible, or hotels with some local "flavor".

We'd like to spend 3 nights in the areas of Montreux or Vevey or nearby. Looking forward to seeing the Chateau de Chillon, the lovely scenery, and hopefully a day-trip to Gruyeres. Maybe we'll have time to see Lausanne as well.

So far these 2 places look interesting:

--Hotel Masson (Veytaux)

--Hostellerie Bon Rivage (La Tour-de-Peilz)

Will we be comfortable at the end of June in a room with no air conditioning? We live in southern Cal where we only need A/C a couple weeks a year so we are spoiled.

Thanks for any suggestions. I consider 100-200 SF moderate prices for Switzerland; and above 200 SF is a splurge.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet & Charming rooms in Vaud area? Hotel Masson or ??

Hi Melissa5,

Sorry I don't have personal experience at either hotel, but the Bon Rivage is on my short-list for Vevey because of its location.

The Masson is in a suburb, as you note, and you'll either take the town bus or a taxi to get there with luggage. Well, you could walk it along the lake, but it will be about 30-40 minutes, and I wouldn't want to do that with luggage.

You may not be comfortable in this area at the end of June w/o a/c, as it can get pretty warm -- there's really no telling if you'll be there during a heat wave or if it'll be a cool spell. However, even most 4-star hotels do not have a/c, so if it's important to you, you'll have to upgrade your hotel quite a bit.

Hope you get some solid info soon!

s

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet & Charming rooms in Vaud area? Hotel Masson or ??

swandav: Thanks for the reply. It is helpful to know that we might get a heat wave in June. We usually only turn on A/C if we are desperately hot. One of my funniest memories with no A/C on vacation was in Ireland. Who would ever think you would need A/C in Ireland in June? Well we were there during an incredible record-breaking heat wave and no A/C anywhere. We stayed at a lovely farmhouse with no A/C. It was so hot upstairs we had to sleep with our bedroom door OPEN to the hallway because that was the only breeze. I still smile when I remember that.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet & Charming rooms in Vaud area? Hotel Masson or ??

Hi Melissa5,

I've stayed at the Hotel Masson and also plan to try the Bon Rivage. Both are individual and I would say romantic, both have wonderful views of Lake Geneva, and a room with a view would be a *must*. Both are a bit away from the centre, Masson near Montreux and Bon Rivage nearer Vevey. Hotel Masson is much more convenient for the Chateau de Chillon. If you choose it, make sure that you get a room AWAY from the highway noise behind the hotel.

If you consider above 200 CHF a splurge, you will have a problem in this area. Even the modest Hostellerie de Geneve in Vevey can take you above the 200 CHF. The Hotel Les Negociants, Vevey, is within your budget but you might not consider it quiet or romantic. My only other thought is look into a hotel above the villages. I've not tried it but A Capell'Art in Caux above Montreux looks interesting. A cogwheel train will take you from Montreux up to Caux in less than half and hour, you will have gorgeous views and it should be cooler there than by the lake, though of course <night life> will be confined to dinner for two and watching the stars. See http://www.montreux-hotel.ch/e/index.php. There you might even be able to splurge on the romantic suite. If you choose this option, do let us know how you get on!! A good site for checking out hotels in the area and orientating yourself is www.swiss-riviera.com. Good luck.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet & Charming rooms in Vaud area? Hotel Masson or ??

I just tried the link I gave you for A Capell'Art and it didn't work, so if you want to have a look, try www.acapellart.org instead.

5. Re: Quiet & Charming rooms in Vaud area? Hotel Masson or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Canton of Vaud