We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

Hong Kong
2 posts
Save Topic
Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

As a part of our road trip from Geneva to Tours, we will be stopping in the Lac Leman region for 3 days. After researching for days on Trip Advisor, here is the itinerary we came up with - but we would love to hear critiques or advice from those with more experience as this will be our first time in the region.

Friday May 20: Arrive at night in Geneva from Chamonix (Overnight in Geneva)

Saturday May 21: Train to Lausanne where we will be spending the next 2 nights. After dropping off our luggage on Saturday morning, we are thinking of using lake transport to cruise to Lavaux, Lutry, Vevey, and Chillon. After visiting the castle at Chillon (hopefully around sunset), we would walk the promenade to Montreux where we would explore the town before taking the train back to Lausanne. We would like to walk the vineyards around Lavaux when we stop there, but is this the right season for that? Also, is this too ambitious for one day? Should we cut out some of the stops?

Sunday May 22: Take an early train to Vevey/Montreux and go on a day trip to Gruyeres/Broc. Return to Lausanne. I heard this is a full-day activity. Is this accurate or will we have time to add anything else to this day? If so, any recommendations?

Monday May 23: Depart Lausanne. We don't have to be anywhere until the evening when we need to go to Divonnes-Les-Bains. We are thinking of using this day to do a quick tour of Geneva since we would not have had a chance to see the town on Friday. Alternatively, perhaps we could visit Evian if that would be more worthwhile.

What do you guys think? I would love to add the Tulip festival in Morges, but I fear that it might be over by May 21 or 22 :(

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

Hi Cosmographer,

I think you have a lot of great things here! My comments --

No, I don't think that the end of May is a great time for the Lavaux vineyards; they are really better in late summer and fall. They may be budding though. You can see the vineyards from the lake as you cruise by, and if they look inviting, you can always hop off and walk around some. And, yes, I would definitely spend some time in Vevey's old town, just pecking around the streets of its old town.

I actually fell upon the tulip festival in Morges by accident, and I think I found it at about the same time, late May. The tulips will still be there in the lakeside park, still gorgeous. If I were you, I would make this a priority and do it. I also love the town of Morges and all its little shops.

Spending time at Gruyeres and Broc can be a whole day activity, of course, especially if you linger. Even though Gruyeres is always crowded, I still enjoy it a lot and love to sit and soak up the atmosphere and the sights. I also have to spend time to have a decent cheese meal and a double-cream dessert. So you'd probably be very happy not to rush too much on this day.

Do you have the ferry schedule? If not, it's at

www.cgn.ch

Have fun!

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

Seems like you've done some good research to start you off. I have a few questions. Firstly, you've mentioned a road trip. Does this mean you will drive into Geneva from somewhere else, leave the car somewhere and then use public transport. Or that you will drive to Tours after your time spent around the lake? Where are you picking up your car?

With your interests, you might be better to stay in Vevey or Montreux. Lausanne is nice, but personally I think Vevey or Montreux are nicer. Do you have any special reason for fancying Lausanne? If you were to stay a little further along the lake, you'd be closer to Chateau de Chillon (which you can still take the boat to from either Vevey or Montreux), and still can get up into the vineyards easily from Vevey. Additionally, if you stayed in or around Vevey or Montreux your accommodation will give you a free Riviera Card, which gives you free local bus travel and discounts on various other things and places including local trains, Chateau de Chillon and, I think, the boats.

You can catch a special train into the vineyards from Vevey, or you can even hop on the funicular from Vevey up to Mont Pelerin. This is a quick way to get up and you can walk down following pedestrian signs. The vineyards won't be at their best, but they should be in early leaf. Plus, the views are great year round. There are others who are more expert on the vineyards in general, and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to chip in.

If you do stay in Lausanne, the best route to Gruyeres and Broc for the chocolate factory is to take the train to Palezieux and then the narrow gauge train to Bulle. You can then either stay on the train and go straight to Gruyeres, or change onto the little narrow gauge train to Broc Fabrique for the chocolate factory. The order you do this all is up to you. You might want to go first to the chocolate factory, or first to Gruyeres. The chocolate factory exhibition only takes an hour or so, but you need to factor in travel time and time to run your fingers over the big wall of chocolates in the shop........The same applies for the demonstration cheese making dairy next to the train station - it doesn't take long (do take the audio tour). You've then got to walk up to Gruyeres itself, which takes 20 minutes or so as it is perched on a hill. The town is small, but you'll probably want to eat at a restaurant and perhaps go to the chateau (depending on if you are chateau-ed out by then). There are also some other small museums in the town. I think that once you've factored in the travel, specific exhibitions, eating and a bit of pootling around, it's a day activity.

If you come from Vevey, a nice route involves taking the bus up through the vineyards to Chatel St. Denis and then getting the narrow gauge train to Bulle (and, as above, either stay on the same train to Gruyeres, or hop off and get the small narrow gauge train to Broc Fabrique).

If you come from Montreux, you'd take the train to Montbovon, then the narrow gauge train to Gruyeres. Once you've finished there, you can take the narrow gauge train to Bulle and then the little narrow gauge train to Broc Fabrique. This is not the most satisfactory way to go as the crow flies, but the usual way for tourists and is perfectly straightforward. I have a quick way to get to the chocolate factory, involving a bus that goes once an hour from Epagny village (the village on the other side of the hill from Gruyeres station) and a short walk to the back of the factory. This would involve quite a lot of trust in me and my routing, so I'll understand if you'd rather not - send me a PM if this interests you and I explain how to do it.

Hong Kong
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

Thanks for the great tips! Our road trip is starting in the Geneva area where we will rent a car at the end of our Switzerland stay. We're planning on driving from Geneva to Dijon, then Blois, then Saumur, and ending in Tours.

We decided to stay in Lusanne because the hotel choices seemed decent for the price. After reading the TA reviews for Montreaux area hotels, I couldn't bring myself to pay the prices they were asking since the non-exhorbitant ones all had mixed reviews.

Thanks for the advice about the train route from Lausanne to Broc/Gruyeres. That will save us some time, I think. And we'll definitely make time for the tulips in Morges. Sure hope they are still worth seeing in late May :)

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

Have 8 days in Switzerland, starting in Geneva. Want to do Montreaux, Chateau d'Oex and then head over to Zermatt. Also take in Grindelwald. Traveling with 2 kids

Suggestions?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

For PopsDad,

Having four destinations in only eight days (seven nights, or eight nights?) gives you only one night/two days in each place. That means an awful lot of wasted time as you have to pack up and check out then check in and unpack, in addition to that day's travel. Because you have two children who may need some help or supervision, that may take even longer.

I would suggest that you pare down your wish list and eliminate some stops. I would have only two stops in seven nights, or three at the most.

Where are you leaving from?

Good luck as you plan!

s

6. Re: Our 3-day itinerary - advice appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Canton of Vaud