We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Things to do" in Lausanne !

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
"Things to do" in Lausanne !

My favourite thing to do in Lausanne was the wonderful lakeside walk from Ouchy to Vevey.

It is about 12 miles - but there are lots of train stations en route so that you can get back to Lausanne easily and make it shorter .

You pass through wonderful quaint Lutry , Cully and vineyards where there are many wineries open for sampling , especially in the 3rd week of June .

There are lots of good restaurants along the way , beautiful lakeside homes to ogle , and the magnificient scenery and wildlife . Bring your swimsuit too - there are many opportunities for a dip - I was soo annoyed that I had left mine at a hotel in Villars !! ( they were great - it was posted back to Britain very quickly - and after our experiences at Heathrow , I think I will travel by post too !!!)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
219 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

You said you took a long walk along the lake - - My favourite thing to do in Lausanne was the wonderful lakeside walk from Ouchy to Vevey. - - Can you tell me a little more about this walk - where do I find the trail/path or start of path? Easy to catch a train back to Lausanne along the way? Wine tasting?

Thanks for any info you are share.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

Hi Denver Denny !

It is very easy to find - just go to Ouchy - there is a metro down from the centre of Lausanne , or it is a steepish downhill walk , to the lakeside . The lakeside walk is well signposted - basically it is along the lake most of the way , you can detour into the little towns .You turn left when you get to the lake - out past the olympic museum , along the pavement for the first part then onto a track .

I think each of the towns had a rail station - about 4 between Lausanne and Vevey approximately .

There were about 5 wineries along the way - you are walking through vineyards for a lot of the walk - it is really pretty .

They were all open for tasting when we were there, as it was a special wine festival , so I a not sure about their regular.

THe last mile or so of the walk was on a main road into Vevey - there were roadworks and a diversion , so I think that We may have missed the lakeside track at this point .

Basically it is dead simple though - just follow the lake !

Vevey is a nice town too , If you are feeling really keen I think the lakeside path goes on to Montreux!

Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

Unfortunately, the lake path does not go beyond La Tour de Peilz, Vevey. Then, one must take the road until a little before Montreux when the lake path restarts.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
219 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

Thank you both for information. It sounds like a fun walk on nice day.

You said you can catch a train back to Lausanne from the small towns along the way. I hope this is still true and tickets are available at the "stations".

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

THere are no ticket booths at many of the stations , but you can get tickets on the train!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,129 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

No, you cannot get tickets on the train. This is no longer allowed, and anyway the local train from Lausanne to Montreux has no conductor! It is an Honour system" train. You must get your ticket from the ticket machine at the station. And there are machines at every station.

As noted above, the lake path doesn't go, uninterrupted from Ouchy to Vevey and Montreux. Be prepared to walk along a very very busy road for most of the way. And the walk is long.... Will take you, most likely, an entire day. Better to do a part of it and take the train for the rest. Save your time for sightseeing in Vevey or Montreux.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
219 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

Thanks for the information on train tickets and "highway" path.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

hambagahle - forgive me for disagreeing - Most of the path was along the lakeside - and It only took us about 6 hours - including a leisurely lunch with some delicious local wine !

But We are keen walkers- We had just spent a week walking around Leysin and Les Diablerets .

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,129 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

Can you explain exactly which path you took? I ask because it will certainly be interesting to others... And also because I know well that the train and the route cantonal run right along the lake from Cully to Vevey, which is quite a section of the route you described. Plus there are houses which are lakefront property much of the way...

Petaling Jaya...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "Things to do" in Lausanne !

I am trying to capture some landscape photos and buildings..will this route be the right one?