We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne Lavaux Self - Travel, Safety Issues?

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Lausanne Lavaux Self - Travel, Safety Issues?

Hello,

I am thinking about visiting the Lavaux vineyards and the Chillon Castle on my own beginning of June. I've decided to start the day by taking the boat to the Chillon Castle around 10 AM, and started the hike from Chexbres back to Epesses on my own in the afternoon. Just out of curiosity as I'm concerned about the safety issues (never done any hikes in Europe solo) on how likely to run into other tourists in the area during the hike, or if there are guided hiking tours available? Thanks so much - sorry in advance if this is a silly question - Never been to Europe, this will be a very scary and exciting experience for me.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lausanne Lavaux Self - Travel, Safety Issues?

Hi Carriee820,

That's a nice walk!

You will be absolutely safe. I'm a single woman and often walk or bike the vineyards alone. The vineyards are not waaaay out in the country; you will be passing through and/or nearby small villages where you can get help If you need it. There may not be a whole lot of folks on the trail at the beginning of June, but the villages will have folks in them. I don't see any need for a tour!

The only precaution I would take is to bring along a cell phone just in case you twist your ankle or something and would need a taxi --

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,637 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lausanne Lavaux Self - Travel, Safety Issues?

You will not only run into other tourists but most likely locals as well. We walk a lot in this country. Walk down from Chexbres to St Saphorin, Rivaz or Epesses, all on the lake and all with train stations. Then you can take a local train back to Lausanne.

Since you are going from Lausanne to Chillon in the morning you might want to consider getting off the boat in Montreux and walking to Chillon along the lake front. It is an easy walk (40mins or so, going slowly) and a very lovely one.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lausanne Lavaux Self - Travel, Safety Issues?

Actually you will hardly run into tourists on this hike, at least not the usual sort of "Europe in 8 days" tourists - mostly locals on a weekend outing, or repeat visitors from nearby countries who come to just relax and enjoy the views and the wine. You are safe from the bus tourists :-)

The only safety issue you need to be aware of is to not fall into the lake if you had a few wines at the local wine cave :-)

4. Re: Lausanne Lavaux Self - Travel, Safety Issues?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 07:16