We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne Trip!

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Lausanne Trip!

Hey all!

My friends and I have a weekend trip planned to Lausanne in early April. We are using Lausanne as our "base" but are looking for things to do in the area. What is the best way to get a great "taste" of the mountains, as well?

I'd love any recommendations that you can provide! Keep in mind that we are college students with a stingy budget! :)

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
98 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lausanne Trip!

Hello

What do you expect in mountains ? If it is for skiing, in april you should go in resort starting from high altitude like in Valais. Otherwise, close location like le Moleson or Rochers-de-Naye could be enough

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lausanne Trip!

April tends to be a bit squelchy in the local mountains, but if you're prepared for that you can still have some fun.

Firstly, you can use www.sbb.ch/en to plan journeys by public transport.

Here are two options for you to consider:

1. Visiting Vevey and Montreux for the day. Vevey is a pretty lakeside town easily accessed from Lausanne on the train. There's a nice old town with a lake promenade and various museums. I enjoy taking the funicular from Vevey up through the vineyards to Mont Pelerin, where you can get really pretty views over the lake. Unfortunately, the transmitter tower at the summit isn't open until Easter. Let me know if the funicular interests you and I can explain how to get there from Vevey station. You can then head on to Montreux (there's a bus that goes from the funicular station, or you can catch it or the train from by the Vevey train station - and all along the main lake road. You can also take the train if you'd prefer). Montreux is a beautiful grand old resort town, with another pretty lake promenade and the famous Chateau de Chillon (really excellent castle). I very much enjoy taking the train from Montreux up to the Rochers de Naye. This is the highest local mountain and feels properly mountainy (the summit is round about 2000m)

2. Visiting the Gruyere region for the day. There are a number of things to do in this area. Firstly, logistics. You take the train from Lausanne to Palezieux and then the narrow gauge train to the beautiful walled medieval town of Gruyeres. In Gruyeres you can visit the demonstration cheese dairy, the old town on the hill, the chateau, have a fondue in a traditional restaurant, visit the HR Giger Museum (of Alien fame). I would also normally suggest considering a trip on the Moleson funicular and cable car, but I'm fairly certain it's closed for its spring holiday in early April. From Gruyeres, you can hop back on the train to Bulle, and make one easy change for the train to Broc Fabrique. Right next to the station where you can do a fun slightly Disney-esque chocolate factory tour, which ends with an all you can eat chocolate tasting. From Broc Fabrique, take the train back to Bulle, change for the train to Palezieux and then your final train to Lausanne. This might seem like a lot of public transport, but it's all really efficient, platforms are easy to find and everything goes on time.

3. Re: Lausanne Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21