We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne or Lausanne?

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne or Lausanne?

WE are a group of 6 friends (between 46 & 55) travelling to France for the World Rugby Cup in September. We will be visiting the Cinque Terra and then plan to travel by train into Switzerland and then onto Lyon. We are on a fairly tight schedule and have 2 options in mind:

1. Travel from Cinque Terra by train and head for Lucerne. Stay in Lucerne for 2 nights and then catch the boat from Lucerne to Fluelen and then connect with a train to Andermatt - catch the Glacier Express to Brig - spend two nights in Brig (do a day trip to Zermatt ) - then catch a train to Lausanne (stay one night) and then to Lyon.

2. Travel from Cinque Terra by train to Andermatt. Catch the Glacier Expresss to Brig - spend two nights in Brig (do a day trip to Zermatt) - then catch a train to Lausanne (spending three nights) and then on to Lyon.

We are prepared to do fit as much in as possible but would we see as much scenic attractions and get the "real" feel of Switzerland if we did option 2 (ie miss going to Lucerne) or is Lucerne a "MUST DO"

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

Hi StillTraveling,

If I understand your options, you're choosing between two nights in Luzern & two nights in Brig & one night in Lausanne vice two nights in Brig & three nights in Lausanne -- ?

I think Luzern is much more typically Swiss than Lausanne is. Luzern is set on a lake with mountains spilling right into the water. The peaks of Riti & Pilatus are nearby while Titlis is not far away. Luzern has a preserved medieval core with fountains, squares, buildings, and city walls (Musegg Wall).

On the other hand, Lausanne is in the French section of Switzerland and has Belle Epoque architecture and interiors. The countrside around the lake is hilly rather than mountainous, with vineyards climbing up the hills.

If this is your first time in Switzerland, making time for Luzern at the expense of Lausanne is a good idea -- and I love Lake Geneva (visited it about 8 times since 1995).

Good luck!

s

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

Thanks for your advice Swandav - will definately go with option 1!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

Great! Happy to help! One correction -- the mounain near Luzern is "Rigi," not "Riti." Sorry!

Luzern's website is www.luzern.org -- may help you find activities you enjoy.

s

Student in...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

It sounds like your trip is planned already, however I wanted to put my two cents in. I've only been to Luzerne but it is absolutely gorgeous. I would strongly suggest going to the top of Mt. Pilatus as well. Breathtaking!

lausanne
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

Lucerne is a german swiss part, Lausanne French swiss, so it depends what you are looking for. Since Lausanne is so close to France, it will be 'less exotic' aftre your trip in France than Lucerne, but it is so much more fun!

lausanne
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

Lucerne is a german swiss part, Lausanne French swiss, so it depends what you are looking for. Since Lausanne is so close to France, it will be 'less exotic' aftre your trip in France than Lucerne, but it is so much more fun!

Lausanne
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

Having lived a number of years in both cities, I can especially recommend Lucerne, which is a smallish city that can be explored easily on foot. If your budget allows, take the boat to Alpnach, up to Pilatus via the cogwheel railway and down to Kriens by cablecar. The (much) cheaper option is to take the bus to Kriens and then up and down Pilatus by cablecar. If it's a nice day and you're up to it, walk down from the top or Fräkmüntegg. The Steamboat to Fluelen will take around 3 hours passing through William Tell country. The Glacier Express also travels through spectacular scenery (best seen from the left side of the carriage). When you get to Brig, try and take the cablecar from Fiesch up to Eggishorn and see the Aletsch glacier. Not sure why you would spend time in Brig though. I would recommend you spend time in Zermatt gazing at the Matterhorn from your Hotel room. Take the train up to Gornergrat for better views. Lausanne is a much bigger city than Lucerne. Start at the Old Town up by the Cathedral. Nip into Da Carlo's Italian restaurant for lunch and than work your way down through St Francois (shopping) to Ouchy down by the lake. My recommendation would therefore be: 3 nights in Lucerne, 1 night in Zermatt and 1 night in Lausanne. Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy your trip.

8. Re: Lucerne or Lausanne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 16:22