We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux to Geneva by boat

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Helens, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Montreux to Geneva by boat

Hi,

I will be staying in Montreux on 28th/29th June at the end of an 8-day 'Swiss-Pass'-facilitated tour of Switzerland. I need to get back to Geneva to catch my flight home to UK at 9.50pm on 30th June, but on this last day, my Swiss Pass will have expired.

Since I will have to pay to return to Geneva from Montreux, I was thinking it might be a nice alternative to spend the day travelling back to Geneva by steamboat, rather than train, stopping off here and there on my way up the lake. However, I am finding it difficult to fully understand the timetables and pricing structure.

Can anyone advise if this journey is possible, whether it would be a pleasant trip (or maybe too long?), and how much it might cost. Also, can I buy a ticket in advance, either here or in Switzerland (I arrive on the 20th In Zurich).

Alternatively, might it be better to take an early train and stop off somewhere en-route? Also, without a Swiss Pass, can I actually buy a train ticket from Montreux to Geneva which would let me 'hop-on' and 'hop-off' that day at reasonable cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

J

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreux to Geneva by boat

>However, I am finding it difficult to fully understand the timetables and pricing structure.

www.cgn.ch

summer schedule is

www.cgn.ch/horaires/pdf/AffA2-ete-11.pdf

there are no direct boats from Montreux to Geneva; you will have to switch in Lausanne-Ouchy. The cheapest would be a CGN day ticket for 60 Fr p.P.

>Can anyone advise if this journey is possible, whether it would be a pleasant trip (or maybe too long?), and how much it might cost. Also, can I buy a ticket in advance, either here or in Switzerland (I arrive on the 20th In Zurich).

I doubt - and also don't know why you would need to buy a ticket in advance. You can buy your tickets on the pier or on the boat.

>Alternatively, might it be better to take an early train and stop off somewhere en-route?

There are a lot of nice small towns along the route such as Morges and Nyon.

>Also, without a Swiss Pass, can I actually buy a train ticket from Montreux to Geneva which would let me 'hop-on' and 'hop-off' that day at reasonable cost?

Any standard ticket in Switzerland works like that.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreux to Geneva by boat

Hi Jonnymac67,

It's about a five hour ride, or five and a half hours, and that's what I would call too much of a good thing. I absolutely adore these ferry cruises, but after two or three hours, I think the scenery would be really redundant.

If I were you, I would take a bus or train to Vevey and spend some time there (if you haven't already), then take a train on to Lutry and stay a few hours, then take the ferry from there (or from Lausanne) to Geneva.

Have fun!

s

St Helens, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreux to Geneva by boat

Thank you for your replies.

It confirms what I was thinking - that the a 'boat option' might indeed be too much of a good thing. I'm doing the 'Willhelm Tell' route across Lake Lucerne to Lugano earlier in my trip, so that should be sufficient as far as lake-cruising is concerned...

The reason I was asking about advance purchase is that last year I experienced quite a scrum of people jostling to get aboard a steamer (some were actually left behind..) and I was glad that I had an advance ticket and seat. Given that this year I have a flight to catch from Geneva, I thought that having an advance ticket would at least guarantee me getting there on time; it's no big deal, but it does give peace of mind.

So, I think the train will be the best option, and that maybe stopping somehere like Nyon or Lutry for a couple of hours before heading into Geneva might be the best plan of action.

Thanks once again for your input,

J

4. Re: Montreux to Geneva by boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 02:16