We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket query

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train ticket query

Hi,

We plan to go from Lausanne to Broc Fabrique for the chocolate factory ourselves (not the chocolate train tour or the cheese factory).

We have 2 kids ages 15 and 11 and hold no Swiss pass. Are there child tickets for them? When I go to the sbb.ch site and get the fare/buy option, it only shows adult or reduced. But no more info on what is reduced (whether pass or child, etc)

If we come back to Montreux station by 5 pm, what is the fastest way to get to the Chilon castle? We just have a day and hence would like to see both. Thanks!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket query

Your children will pay the "reduced" fare, which is valid up to the age of 16.

There is a train from Montreux to Veytaux-Chillon (the station is right by the castle) at 17:32. The journey takes three minutes.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket query

Opening times, last entry times and prices for Chillon are on the link below. Dependant on the time of year you may want to change you timings if you want to see the inside.

www.chillon.ch/en/index-Horaires-0-0.html

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket query

15 year old can still travel half fare, but if they look older make doubly sure to carry id for them to prove their age. You should carry id with you anyway, but this is an extra incentive to do so.

Dubai
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticket query

Thanks for your replies.

I was trying to get back to Montreux earlier but the earliest back is the 1532 train Broc to Montreux (the return 1332 train will not give us enough time at the chocolate factory) which means we can only get to the castle around 1735 hrs. As it closes at 1900, we will have about 1 1/2 hrs at the castle, is that enough? Thanks again!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticket query

If I were staying in Lausanne, I would go Lausanne - Palezieux - Bulle - Broc Fabrique. This journey is a nice route and involves the fewest changes. If you take this route, you won't be doubling back on yourself later.

From having a look at www.rail.ch it seems that the full adult single fare would be CHF 22.

For coming back via Montreux, you'd go Broc-Fabrique - Bulle - Montbovon - Montreux, which has a full price adult fare of CHF 23. If you want to stop off at Gruyeres en route, this station lies between Bulle and Montbovon and you can get off and back on later without having to buy a new ticket.

There is a way you can save a tiny weeny bit of money by buying an all zones card for the Fribourg of canton and single tickets just outside of this area, but having done the maths for you, it's a matter of centimes and not worth your trouble.

If you can find a local train to Veytaux Chillon which leaves at a good time, this is then definitely the quickest way to get there from the station. If not, head down hill to the lake road and catch the bus from the lake side of the road to the castle.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ticket query

What day of the week are you travelling, I can see a 14.32 from Broc-Fabrique on a randomly selected Monday.

An hour and a half would just about be enough if you move quite quickly. Generally I say 2 to 3 hours is ideal. Do bring your swimwear for an evening swim by the castle afterwards if it is warm.

Dubai
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ticket query

We're doing this on Sunday. Just curious, what time is sunset there end July?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train ticket query

9-9.30-ish.

Do you have an earlier engagement in the day, as you could just set off from Lausanne a bit earlier. The chocolate factory tour is not huge. I can't remember exactly how long my friends and I were in there, but it was certainly no more than an hour or two. If you could get everyone up and out, the 08.45 from Lausanne via Palezieux would see you at Broc Fabrique by 10.24. This would give you plenty of time to tour, enjoy a picnic and then catch the 13.32.

Dubai
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train ticket query

Y'know that does seem a better option. The big IF is to get the kids up and out before 8:45!!! Anyways, we now have both the options. Thanks so much for your help, I do appreciate it!

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train ticket query

For children aged 6 to 16 years, you can buy a Junior Card for 30 CHF and then the children can travel for free anywhere when accompanied by a parent with a valid ticket.

sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses…

Otherwise, children aged 6 to 16 years, pay one-half the adult fare.

Edited: 09 July 2011, 17:56