We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train des vignes

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Topic
Train des vignes

Hi there,

Can somebody give some info on this train journey:-

1. where is the starting and end points?

2. how much does it cost?

3. how long is the journey in terms of time?

4. does the train just zip past the vineyards or can we hop on and

hop off?

5. Is it worth taking this train through the vineyards? Or would just a

walk through a vineyard or two be representative of the train

journey?

Thank you for your info

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train des vignes

The "Train des vignes" is the local train that runs from Vevey to Puidoux-Chexbres. The journey takes 13 minutes and costs 5 CHF each way (2.50 CHF if you have a half fare card).

There are intermediate stops in Corseaux and Chexbres-Village. It's a slow local train so doesn't exactly "zip" anywhere, but it is a proper train, so you can only get on and off at official stations.

One idea would be to go one way by train then walk back, or vice versa.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train des vignes

It is a very pretty ride.

If you are interested in seeing some of the Lavaux villages, walking down from Chexbres is definitely the best thing to do. Some lovely places are:

Epesses

Dezaley

Grandvaux

St Saphorin (on the lakeshore)

Cully (on the lakeshire

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train des vignes

Another option to consider is the funicular that runs from Vevey to Mont Pelerin. This takes 11 minutes and the ride is a nice steep one up through the vineyards to a lovely viewing point.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train des vignes

Hi crazytraveller,

I thought this train name was a little misleading. Well, I mean, it does take you from Vevey to Chexbres, as Neuch and Hambagahle note. But there's nothing special about it! Trains run between Vevey and Chexbres all the time; the only thing that makes this special is that, in summertime, they put up a small green "Train des Vignes" sign at the train platform.

Yes, walking to Rivaz, St. Saphorin, or Epesses from Chexbres is a good idea; walking to Cully or Lutry I think may be too far. I once walked from Epesses to Lutry and enjoyed it, but it took me three hours. You can take a ferry back to Vevey after your walk to make it a great day (see if the ferries will be running during your visit at www.cgn.ch).

Have fun!

s

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
181 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train des vignes

I'm wondering if Crazytraveller was talking about one of the little trains that actually travel through the vineyards. I came across these when doing some research a few months ago. I'm assuming they are still operating. One is called the Lavaux Express and the other is called the Lavaux Panoramic. If I recall correctly, I found out about the trains from the Montreux web site. I'm sure if you go to that web site or do a search you'll find information on them.

I had actually posted a question about these a while back, but got no responses.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train des vignes

<But there's nothing special about it! Trains run between Vevey and Chexbres all the time; the only thing that makes this special is that, in summertime, they put up a small green "Train des Vignes" sign at the train platform.>

Yes, maybe I should have added a word to my post and said "it's *just* the local train from Vevey to Chexbres"...

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train des vignes

Hi again,

If martir is correct and you want the Lavaux Express/Panorama, here are links for more information:

Lavaux Express

montreux-vevey.com/en/…LavauxExpress

Lavaux Panoramic

montreux-vevey.com/en/…LavauxPanoramic

Each of those pages has a link to the actual trains with costs and schedules.

Hope you're getting the info you need!

neuch -- I hope it doesn't seem that I was commenting on your post! I just wanted to say something about that funny little green sign -- Do you know if they still put that up? Or have they made it somewhat more offical looking?

s

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train des vignes

Hi neuch, Hambagahle, NorthWestLondoner, swandav & martir,

Thank you so much for the info and links.

Yes, I was referring to those trains that meander through the vineyards. I like the idea of going up on the train and coming down walking. That way I get to be really near the grapes (?!). Only hope they've not been plucked already.

I'm also keen on the Lavaux villages. They'd make lovely photos.

I'm actually putting up in Montreaux and it's only for 2 nights. So, I'll have to make the tough decision on the various choices available.

Thanks again

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train des vignes

Actually there IS a train des Vignes. I see it sitting in the Vevey station quite often! It is a little local train, decorated a bit differently than the others... but of course the rails are the same as the normal trains Chexbres to Vevey.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train des vignes

... in fact technically it's the S31. But "Le train des vignes" sounds so much nicer :-)