We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 minutes to change between trains!?

Sheffield, England...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 minutes to change between trains!?

Hi, I will arrive in Montreux 11:39 at platform 3 and need to change to platform 5 for the GoldenPass train which depart at 11:45. There is only 6 minutes gap, do u think I am able to make it?? I really don't want to miss the train as I already reserve the seats. Hope some one can help me with the direction please.

Mentioned in this post
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

What a strange question. Are you able two walk 300 yards within 6 (!!) minutes, given the fact that you are not a tortoise ?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,898 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

Swiss trains are normally on-time. 6 minutes should be plenty between the two platforms unless you are not mobile in a normal sense, or you are carrying lots of luggage.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,062 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

Will you have more luggage than you can easily manage without a cart to go down a ramp and then up a ramp? If so, you might have a problem. I know it doesn't seem like very long but if you are at the door of your arriving train as it pulls in, have luggage you can easily manage yourself meaning on wheels or light enough to carry easily so you don't have to make more than one trip, then you should be fine. You won't have a lot of time to spare so don't dawdle but it is more time than it sounds.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

Maetzli, it's not a strange question when you are used to a less punctual train system with vast stations where platforms can be very far apart, often with no ramps or lifts, with big crowds in the way. Switzerland's public transport system is so impressive, but if people haven't experienced it, it's hard to imagine!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

Platforms 3 and 5 are adjacent, you will just need to cross from one train to the other. You will have more than enough time. These trains are timed to connect and you will not be the only one making the transfer.

sbb.ch/content/…plan-montreux-a4.pdf

Leysin, Switzerland
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

more to the point, they'll hold the GoldenPass departure for a few minutes if a mainline connecting train is running late so you'll be fine.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

ok, sorry. I forgot. sorry.

Sheffield, England...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

Wow...thanks so much for all the advises. I am glad to join this forum and find out is very informative indeed. It certainly release my dilemma now. Thanks again swissaholic for the Montreux station layout plan, I can see the platform 3 and 5 are on the same side which I don't need to go down and up the stair to cross to other side. Really appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Montreux
Montreux
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

Assuming you are arriving from Geneva/Lausanne (which seems likely given the platform number), you could also get an earlier train to Montreux - there are two fast trains an hour and reservations are not needed, so even if you have a reservation to Montreux you could simply get the train before the one on which you have reserved seats.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Montreux
Montreux
10. Re: 6 minutes to change between trains!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:16