We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

Any comments on these two choices should one have to make a choice between the two?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,665 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

I assume you mean the Fairmont Montreux Palace?

The Palace is located on the lakefront in Montreux. Easily accessible to buses, trains etc (Montreux station is about a 10min walk and trains leave there every half hour for Geneva and the airport, and in the other direction every 2 hrs for Milan. Also hourly trains to Gstaad and the Oberland etc)

The Mirador is on Mt Pélerin, which is above Vevey. Accessible by funicular from Vevey - but the funi is no where near the Vevey station and you need to take a bus to it from the station. This means that if you want to do anything in the area either you need a car or you rely on the funi and the bus. Not at all convenient.

Now to the hotels themselves. the Palace is a very very old hotel, tip top condition with an outstanding spa and restaurants. Super Sunday brunch. Because it is low down its lake views are nice but not stunning. It is literally in the midst of Montreux and you will not lack for things to do!

The Kempinski Mirador has a "knock your socks off" view. It literally dominates the lake, and you can see all the way to the Valais Alps, the mt Blanc massif and to Lausanne and Evian. It was very recently completely re-done. It has an OK spa, nice (but not really remarkable) restaurant and a nice buffet restaurant. If you want quiet and great views then this is the place to go!

Hope this gives you some ideas in order to make your choice!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

Hi commoditytypj20,

I have to note a small detail about the Montreux Palace hotel. It's not actually ON the lakefront but rather across the very busy and noisy main street from the lake. I guess the rooms do have views of the lake, and I would also guess that the windows are sound-proofed against the traffic noise. I just don't care for that location --

If you want a 5-star hotel that sits right on the lake, try the Royal Plaza. I stayed there a few years ago when I got an incredible deal, and I love its position. It's across the street from the Palace directly on the lake and in a quiet location. It's possible to view all the pedestrians walking on the lake while you enjoy your balcony. Nice way to spend the day!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,665 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

I knew you would come back with this post, S!!

In fact the rooms at the Palace are air conditioned - but really there is not much noise from the street. It is in a 50km/hr zone and is only two lanes - one each way... Not at all like being in a large town either because there is zero reverberation of the sound as there are no buildings on the other side of the road. Just gardens going down to the lake.

The hotel rooms start on the 2nd floor but the ceilings on the 1st floor where the restaurants etc are are so high that it may as well be called the 3rd floor! So well above the "offending road" anyway... and a lovely view of the lake.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

thanks for all of the replies.....

What I think Im planning to do is to stay at the palace for two nights..I want to visit the castle and visit the village of Guyerre..I think it sounds like more trouble from the mirador.

Also the stay at the Mirador for a lakeview room with breakfast is about $200 more than the Palace for our stay..

What I would consider is having dinner at the Mirador because of the jaw dropping view and then spend the night in Old Town Vevey... Does this sound plausible.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,665 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

Yes but... better to have lunch. If you have dinner it will be dark. the lights over the lake are lovely but the view is not the same.

It is very easy to go from Montreux to Vevy by train, about 10 mins. then take the bus to the "Funi" and go up to the Mirador for lunch on their terrace. Their "Patio" rsetaurant is lovely for lunch and the view is - divine!! Do not go to their fancy restaurant as IMO I do not think it is worth the money and aynway I am not sure it is open for lunch!

The Fairmont is wonderful. IF you are there on a Sunday they have a fabulous brunch. We often go there jsut for that!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

Your hotel in Montreux will give you a Riviera Card which will cover the travel costs of the train/bus and funicular journey to Mont-Pèlerin suggested by Hambagahle.

montreuxriviera.com/en/page.cfm/Riviera_Card…

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

will the riviera card cover the castle and gueyere?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,665 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

Chillon - yes- Gruyères No. For Gruyères you need a train ticket.

9. Re: Fairmount vs Le Mirador Kemprinski

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:15