We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Hi,me & husband would be in Switzerland for 10 days this August. During the course of our visit, we have planned two nights in Montreux.We are arriving from Zermatt to Montreaux,possibly early morning,first go to see the Chateau de Chillon(3-4 hrs),Then take train from Montreux to Chexbres, walk down Rivas , from where we can either walk to St Saphorin, and then take ferry into Lake Geneva for coming back to Montreux.All this is poosible in one day?And what should we plan for Day 2?Vevey & Laussane?We will take the Golden pass line from Montreux to Interlaken-Zurich

Is it also possible that we cut one night from Montreux(& add it to Wengen, where we are spending 3 nights), the second day, take Golden pass express to Interlaken, & then proceed to Zurich for our flight back home?

Is the ferry ride upto Chateau de Chillon covered in Swiss pass?

Please suggest.

Mentioned in this post
Chexbres
Chexbres
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Rivas
Rivas
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,293 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Hi nehabhushan,

I think you'll have a very, very rushed day if you try to see Chillon and the Lavaux on the same day as you arrive from Zermatt.

If you leave Zermatt at 08.39, you won't get to Montreux until 11.14. Check into your hotel and drop your bags, then catch the bus to Chillon (busses come every 10 minutes, and the trip takes about 10 minutes). So your three-four hours at Chillon will probably be around 12.00-15.00.

Then take the bus back to Montreux and catch the train to Chexbres. The train comes only once an hour, at .58 past the hour; the trip takes 20 minutes. So you could be on the train at 15.58 and be in Chexbres at around 16.20. The walk down to St. Saphorin or Rivaz will take about 45 minutes. Then you would take the ferry back to Montreux.

If you do it all in one day, you'll be missing the walk from Chillon back to Montreux along the flowered lakeside promenade -- which is, imo, one of the best things about Montreux. You also won't have time to linger in the vineyards or to taste any of the wines that come from the vineyards. There is a central tasting facility in Rivaz (Vinorama, I think it's called) that would be great to experience. You would also be missing a longer visit in the wine-growing villages such as Lutry, which is my favorite.

If I were you, I would spend the arrival day enjoying Montreux. Walk up to the old town just after you arrive -- visit the church up there and take in the wide views. Then take the bus to Chillon, see Chillon, and walk back to the lake along the lakeside promenade. Spend a few hours at a lakeside cafe or restaurant as the sun goes down.

The next day, you could take the ferry from Montreux to Lutry, then work your way back to Montreux stopping at some wine caves, walking the Lavaux trails, or hopping onto the trains. Spend a few hours in the sweet town of Vevey with its tangled old town right next to the lake.

Ferry schedules are at

www.cgn.ch

Yes, all ferry rides are included on the Swiss Pass.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Mentioned in this post
Chexbres
Chexbres
Rivaz
Rivaz
Lutry
Lutry
Vevey
Vevey
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

I checked the SBB website, even if we catch the 7:39 am train from Zermatt , we would be in Montreux at 10:18 am.I think we shall explore the town. go to Chillon, walk along promenade.I am planning to add Rocher de Naye from Chillon. What is the best way, we should first go to Rocher de Naye from Montreux & then to Chillon?

For day two, we can explore the Vineyards, walk to St.Sophorin & Rivaz, Vevey then ferry to Montreux. Is it possible to walk both St.Sophorin & Rivaz from Chexbres, one after another? Read they are in opposite directions while decending.

Thnx

Mentioned in this post
Vevey
Vevey
Chexbres
Chexbres
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,293 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Hi again,

I'm sorry, but I've never ascended to Rochers-de-Naye (I like the views over the lake from Glion, and when I want to see higher mountains, I go to the high Alps). I guess I would decide if I wanted to see the sunset from the mountains or from the lake, and do the other one first.

St Saphorin and Rivaz are not in opposite directions; you can descend from Chexbres and go to Rivaz then take a left and walk to St. Saphorin. You may want to take a look at the area using google maps; you can even see the pedestrian walkway and see how long it takes to walk using their features. The walk from either St. Saphorin or Rivaz to Vevey will take about three hours. I would suggest taking the ferry or train to Lutry, explore the town. Then take the train to Chexbres and walk down to Rivaz to see the Vinorama. Then walk or take the train to Vevey. These are the distances:

Vevey-Lutry 10 miles

Vevey-Rivaz 4.2 miles (Vevey-Chexbres 3.5 miles + Chexbres-Rivaz .07 Miles)

Rivaz-Lutry 5.8 miles (Rivaz-Cully 3.2 miles + Cully-Lutry 2.6 miles)

I'm glad you'll be slowing down so you can see more in the area!

s

Mentioned in this post
Rochers-de-Naye
Rochers-de-Naye
751 Reviews
Montreux, Switzerland
Glion
Glion
Rivaz
Rivaz
Chexbres
Chexbres
Vevey
Vevey
Lutry
Lutry
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Thnx Swandav, two days it will be...Even I am not very sure about Rochers-de-Naye,since we would be visiting the other higher peaks already..Let's see!!

Can't wait to visit Switzerland.

Mentioned in this post
Rochers-de-Naye
Rochers-de-Naye
751 Reviews
Montreux, Switzerland
Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Hi Neha,

Since my wife hails from Delhi, I can gauge the excitement of you going to Switzerland. We are going in middle of June, and are really excited. I have heard good reviews of chocolate and cheese factory, suggest do that tour too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Whether somebody's from Delhi,Dubai, Dublin or Detroit, the excitement of a vacation in Switzerland would be almost similar for all the travellers!!Who won't relish & cherish such a chance...

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

Absolutely well said. Enjoy your time there :)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

I like the journey up to the Rochers de Naye. The train winds up through the mountains and it takes about an hour. There are splendid views over the lake, and it's a different experience than in the high mountains - but just as nice in its own way. If you do want to go up there, I would decide on the day, based on the weather. You may find it better to go to the castle in the morning, or the afternoon, based on this. Either is fine.

Have fun whatever you end up doing.

9. Re: Plan for roughly two days in Montreux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:17