We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau de Chillon

Salmiyah, Kuwait
Level Contributor
252 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Chateau de Chillon

Hi ,

What would be the best time to visit Chateau de Chillon in june , in the morning or in the afternoon ?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
143 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chateau de Chillon

The Chateau is just a castle, and doesn't look or feel any different in the morning vs. the afternoon. I would simply look at the weather forecast and choose the time when its fair weather...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,746 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chateau de Chillon

It doesn't need to be good weather to enjoy a visit to Chillon!!

First, once you cross the drawbridge into the château you are more or less indoors. Of course there are times when you need to cross an outside courtyard but for the most part you are under a roof. I have been there at all seasons, even in winter when it is very cold and grey. And the château is a totally magic place!

Be sure to get an Audioguide when you pay for your admission tickets. This will really enhance your experience and your understanding of the place. It is not "just a castle" ... not at all!!!

Montreux...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chateau de Chillon

I been there many times.. I suggest you got there early, because after 10am loads of buses arrive and it gets crowded. Specially within the underground exhibits, it can get claustrophobic..

Kuwait
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chateau de Chillon

Is the audioguide free with admission ticket or we pay extra?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,746 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chateau de Chillon

You pay extra.It costs 6frs and is money well spent. IF you are staying in the Montreux area your hotel will give you a Riviera Card and this entitles you to 50% off the admission cost of the castle - normally adults pay 12frs. With the Riviera Card it is 6frs... audioguide additional 6frs.

fort collins, co
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chateau de Chillon

I did not know about the Riviera card from hotels, thank you H. The castle admission, but not the audio tour, is included if you are traveling with a Swiss rail Pass as part of the Swiss Museum card that comes with it, is this correct?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,746 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chateau de Chillon

Right. Castle admission included on Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi pass IF you are using the Flexi that particular day. Audioguide 6frs no matter what.

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
966 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chateau de Chillon

Is there a place on the Swiss Rail site that lists the museums included in the pass? (Can't seem to locate that information.) We are purchasing the Flexi for our July visit.

fort collins, co
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chateau de Chillon

Yay - I finally can contribute something to TA!

Here's the full list of discounts with the Swiss Pass: …myswitzerland.com/rail-tickets-passes/swiss…

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,746 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chateau de Chillon

what you need is this:

http://www.museumspass.ch/

It is on the page given by 12travelfar but not terribly obvious! And when you access it, not all that easy to read.

You need to know (if you don't already) that the Flexi pass can only be used to access museums for free entrance on the days that you are using it as a "Swiss Pass". On the days it is used as a HFC museums are not included...