We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

Greetings !

I am planning to travel on the Golden Pass Line in mid-December later this year from Montreux to Zweisimmen. I have a choice between the "panoramic train" departing on 1544 or the normal "non-panoramic" trains departing every hour. Given that it is in mid December when the day is shorter and sunset starts at 4.30pm or so, would it make more sense to take the earlier train than to wait for the panoramic train that departs only on 3.44pm and risk the later part of train journey in twilight? Thanks for the advice.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

There are currently four Goldenpass Panoramic trains, two of which have VIP seating, between Montreux and Zweisimmen. There are also two Goldenpass Classics.

You can get the full schedule by clicking on the first pdf at:- www.goldenpass.ch/CMS/default.asp?ID=251

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

Thanks swissaholic for the information. Yes, I am referring to the panoramic train with VIP seating departing on 3.44pm. If I choose this train, will it be too late in the afternoon to have sunlight to enjoy the beautiful view outside given it is in mid December when the day is shorter ?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

You will get half an hour or so of view (maybe 45 minutes if it's a really clear day) before it starts to get dark... personally I would forget the VIP seats and take an earlier train.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

Thank Neuch for the reply, your reply confirms the doubt i have and help me to make up my mind to give up on the VIP seating. The train company should adjust the timetable for the VIP seating panoramic train to depart early during winter time. Anyway thank again to Neuch for the very helpful piece of advice, much appreciated !

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

>The train company should adjust the timetable for the VIP seating panoramic train to depart early during winter time.

There is one at 09:44.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

The train company cannot adjust the timing - they have two such trains only (rolling stock). One leaves Montreux at 0944 and goes to Zweisimmen. It then returns to Montreux from Zweisimmen in the afternoon. The other leaves Zweisimmen in the morning and returns from Montreux to Zweisimmen at 1544. Train staff are based out of Montreux or Zweisimmen. So how can they adjust the timing?

If you want to see the sights in winter then take the 0944. Or a later train which will not be the same rolling stock.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

I'm not sure that the VIP seats are all that you think they may be. We could have sat in these seats but instead moved back to the coffee lounge behind them as the view was so much better. At the front of the train everything flashes past so quickly, you don't really get the chance to fix on the view and watch as it goes by you as it's a forward facing seat only.

The only real problem with views from ordinary trains is the habit of many of the tourists from your part of the world who close the blinds as they travel - we found this a few times.

Don't worry, the view is the same whichever train you watch it from. The best part about a normal train without reserved seats is that you can move about, particularly from one side of the train to the other, depending on what you want to see.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

I disagree - I have had the first row of the VIP seats twice and the second row once. The first row, to me, was amazing. We had a 180° view of the countryside at all times and being right above the rails was quite something. Also the roof is a window which curves up above you so you get a good view upwards as well. One time we took these seats we were going to see the balloons around Château d'Oex and we were thrilled with the views. The second row is less impressive as you have the backs of the people in the first row in front of you and the driver is right above so no view upwards! And since skitandoori is concerned about the sun blinds (well, you can see through them somewhat anyway!) there aren't any in the VIP section on the Goldenpass... and you can always ask someone politely to raise the blinds in the other trains anyway.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

I intend to cover Chillon Castle in the morning and leave for Interlaken in the afternoon. That is why the 9.44am VIP seating train is not an option for me. I will now choose the 1.44pm panoramic train instead of the 3.44pm VIP seating train, prefer not to compromise on the chances of getting better view with daylight. It is hard to believe there are people who close the blind while traveling in the picturesque Switzerland !

Thank Swissaholic, Skitandoori and Hambagahle for the informative replies.

10. Re: Advice need on Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:21