We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux/CERN : how to do it all in 2.5 days?

Chennai
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Montreux/CERN : how to do it all in 2.5 days?

Hi. We are all excited. The tickets are booked. The plan is as follows:

20th May: depart Chennai and arrive at Geneva at 2 pm. Train to Montreux

20th, 21st and 22nd nights : booked at an apt in montreux.

23rd head out to Murren where we are booked at Chalet Fontana for the next 5 nights.

My family has been superkeen to visit CERN and luckily we have managed to get onto an individual tour on the 21st at 10: 30 am. The tour lasts three hours.

Given that CERN is at a reasonable distance from Montreux, we now have the problem that there isn’t enough time to do what we need to do in and around Montreux.

We would like to go to the chocolate factory in Broc, cheese factory in Gruyeres, walk thru the Lavaux vineyards and taste wine at the Rivaz vinorama as recommended by TA , walk to and see the castle of Chillon and see a little bit of Montreux and Vevey.

Can someone please draw up a plan for doing all of the above given that we have a few hours in the evening on the 20th, a Geneva trip on the 21st , the whole of the 22nd and maybe the morning of the 23rd? Since we have 4 full days in the BO we can, I guess afford to take the Golden pass at 1:44 pm to get to Murren on the 23rd, which gives us an extra half a day in the Montreux area.

Any help will be hugely appreciated. Hope I have been clear above :)

Thanks

Sujatha

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreux/CERN : how to do it all in 2.5 days?

Direct train from Geneva airport to Montreux takes some 1:16, airport is small, so you might arrive at Montreux around 16:00 on May 21st. Sunset Montreux is at 21:06. Chillon Castle is open from 9:00 to 19:00 (last entrance 18:00).

CERN visit on 22nd - not really convenient in your overall plan - but leaving Geneve early afternoon you can be in Vevey/Montreux area again around 16:00

Gruyères and Broc are on a side trip from Montbovon. Montreux to Gruyères takes 1:19 (first train leaving at 5:37). So you could easily add Broc on that May 23th, return to Montbovon and take the train to Zweisimmen for Mürren (Montbovon to Mürren via Zweisimmen 3:23)

If no choice I would try to use late afternoon and evening 21st and 22nd for Chillon castle and Rivaz/Lavaux (order depending also on weather forecast). Otherwise Chillon castle at 9:00 on 23th, then next possible train for Montbovon, Gruyères, Broc (I would try to organize a taxi for saving time between Gruyères and Broc), back Montbovon for a late train to Mürren.

But first I would try to add a day for Montreux area.

Chennai
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreux/CERN : how to do it all in 2.5 days?

Thank you so much for responding. Based on what you have said I have drawn up the following. Pls tell me if it will work.

20th: reach Montreux by 4 pm, check in and stroll around Montreux before dinner

21st: go to CERN and return to Montreux by 4 pm. Do Chillon and then dinner

22nd: whole day available : so do Broc, Gruyeres and Lavaux

( Can you pl help with fleshing out this plan for the day?)

23rd : morning : Vevey

23rd 1: 44 pm depart for Muerren.

Thanks again

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreux/CERN : how to do it all in 2.5 days?

From Montreux, your Gruyere area day is best done like this:

Montreux - Montbovon - Gruyeres. Hop off at Gruyeres and visit the things that interest you (options demonstration cheese dairy, pretty medieval old town, chateau, HR Giger Museum, Tibet museum). Back on the train to Bulle where you change for the train to Broc Fabrique. The chocolate factory is next to the station. Unfortunately, the journey is not covered by the free Riviera travel card you will get by staying in the Montreux area.

As an additional consideration, I have always been rather fond of the regional capital Bulle. The museum has recently been made fancy, although I haven't had a chance to visit. I always used to like the wolf net, which hopefully is still there:

http://www.musee-gruerien.ch/en

There are various ways to see the vineyards. If you just want to have a basic look, you can do this on the bus. Take the train from Bulle to Chatel St. Denis and then get the bus from the bus stop with the flag poles down through the vineyards to Vevey (this bus journey is included in the free Riveria public transport card you get if you stay in the Montreux area)

For a more indepth look at the vineyards, there are various reviews you can read about here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188108-…

Chennai
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreux/CERN : how to do it all in 2.5 days?

Many thanks NorthwestLondoner.

5. Re: Montreux/CERN : how to do it all in 2.5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:23