We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from montreux to milan

Ellicott City...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
day trip from montreux to milan

is it possible to take a morning train from montreux to Milan and return late evening? I can't figure out these train schedules. Any suggestions would be helpful. This is a day trip for 4 teenagers who are comfortable with a very long day.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from montreux to milan

I have enclosed the information you are looking for. However, I am wondering why your sons would want to spend 6 hours on the train to go to Milan for the day? Would you mind enlightening me?

Euro 37 leaves Montreux at 8:36am and arrives in Milan 11:35

Euro 36 Leave Milan at 17:25 arives Montreux at 20:24.

Euro 42 Leave Milan at 19:25 arrives Montreux at 22:24

Have a great trip!

Ellicott City...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from montreux to milan

Thank you so much. I think you mean my daughter though as I do not have any sons. She is trying to experience as much as possible while she is there. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to why she wouldn't? We live in Maryland and often make a day trip to NYC via train without any issues.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from montreux to milan

How old is your daughter? If she decides to go with others, please advise her to be very careful at the Milan Centrale Station. If is a haven for pick pockets! (I am a native New Yorker...and am used to traveling into Manhatten so keep in mind that I am offering this warning even as a someone attuned to city train travel) Milan is not a particularly attractive city, IMO. Perhaps visiting the Duomo is worthwhile...and if you had reserved tickets to visit the Last Supper. However, I personally, wouldn't trade time in Switzerland for a visit to Milan! But hey, thats why there are so many different spices! Use the Sbb.ch website for train schedules and prices!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip from montreux to milan

I could not disagree more! Milan is a fascinating and beautiful city and there is a lot more to see there than the Duomo - which is of course unique! There are wonderful museums in Milan - Pinacota, Ambrosiana, the Modern Art Gallery to name only three. And fascinating churches of which my favourite is Santa Maria presso San Satiro - tiny church tucked away near the Piazza del Duomo with the amost amazing trompe l'oeil painting I have ever seen, plus some lovely wood carvings. Then there is the via Montenapoleone and all its shops (!) plus the Galleria.

For a wonderful place for lunch go to the 7th floor of la Rinascente - department store next to the Duomo. You eat lunch looking right out over the roof of the Duomo and the food is great too!

One really needs 3 - 4 days in Milan but failing that, a few hours would be fun provided the trip was well prepared and one knew in advance exactly where to go. the Metro works quite well from the station but is more than a little dingy!

Edited: 24 June 2014, 08:52
5. Re: day trip from montreux to milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19