We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day before heading to Chamonix

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1 day before heading to Chamonix

Hello - I arrive in Geneva Aug 22 (very early) - and start TMB hike on Aug 24. I need to be in Chamonix Aug 23 to get ready. So I have 1 day (the 22nd) to sightsee...I am thinking of checking of Yvoire & Chillon castle.

Q1) Can I do both these in 1 day ? And what would be the best way to get to them? If I have to choose, which one should I do?

Q2) should I spend 22nd night in Geneva and take a shuttle transfer to Chamonix on 23? Or should I stay at Montreux on 22nd and take the train to Chamonix?

Q3) How long does it take to do Aguille du Midi? If I arrive in the afternoon at Chamonix - can I do this in a couple of hours?

I am a female solo traveller who does not know the local languages - so want the easiest options possible - Thank you for your advice!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,157 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day before heading to Chamonix

Sarah -

you sent me a PM covering most of these points which I have answered in detail.

For the Aiguille du Midi - you can walk to the base station from the centre of town in 15mins. Then how long it takes to get up to the top depends on the queue for the cable car. You have to change once at the Plan d'Aiguille. I would allow 4 hours to get up, have time at the top, and get back down to Chamonix.

There is only one local language in Geneva and Chamonix - French. (Unless you count patois, but very few people speak that in the Chamonix valley!!) However anyone dealing with tourists in Geneva AND in Chamonix will speak at least some English and often very good English. Both Geneva and Chamonix have a high percentage of resident English-speakers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day before heading to Chamonix

Thank u again for ur incredible help

3. Re: 1 day before heading to Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 06:17