We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

I will be traveling to switzerland from 22-29 aug(2014). I want to know what to expect from temperature and weather in different regions.

I will be spending my days at Montreaux, Zermatt, Lucern, Zurich, GEX, Interlaken and iit's nearby areas to reach mountains.

I will be taking lake cruise on geneva lake, visiting vineyards in Vaud, Matterhorn, Spending a day in GEX, a day in Lucern, a day excursion to Zurich city and 3 days at Interlaken/lauterbrunnen to visit Jungfraujoch, Lake cruise and explore the Wengen/ Grindelwald towns.

Can any one give me information on temperatures and weather in above regions.

Thanks in Advance.

Nitasha

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

Hi Nitasha,

Normally, it is hot in Zurich in August. The mountain areas tend to be cooler because of the elevation. However in the mountains the temperatures can vary dramatically. I have been in Zermatt in August when it actually snowed. I have been there too when it was quite warm. So, my suggestion to you is to generally bring clothing you can layer. Light, wash and wear, breathable materials. Bring a sweater and rain protection. Good shoes to walk comfortably in. Since you are indicating that you will do at least one peak excursions do bring an additional fleece jacket besides the sweater! If you plan on being out a lot in the mountains then consider some type of hat to protect you from the sun.

Have great trip.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 21:02
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

Thank you Marb for sharing your experience. Yes, I am planning to go to Mt. Titlis and Jungfrajoch and 1-2 other peaks. Can you suggest if regular flat shoes will work to walk over the snow OR i would need to rent some special shoes.? Also, a pair of sunglasses, SunScreen, warm jackets, some scarf/hat to cover ears/head should be all to go to swiss mountain peaks? Please tell me if I am missing something.

Thanks for the info on weather, I was expecting it to be same, just worried about mountains and rain.

If i am carrying an umbrella, rain should not be a problem while traveling from one place to other (except for mountains of Course).

Edited: 11 August 2014, 10:30
Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

Many visitors carry umbrellas. I, personally, do not. I bring a light poncho that I can throw over me. I like to have both hands free when traveling. Also if one is walking in the mountains, an umbrella can act like a lightening rod if there is lightening. However, as I said, many folks in the villages use umbrellas.

I would not try walking on the snow with regular sneakers, if you plan to do any substantial walking on it! And I would caution you about Strenuous, lengthy walking on the snow at the altitudes you will be at. There will be a very significant, quick change of Alititude. If you want to "play" in the snow, that is something else. But I would still have a good pair of walk shoes. Hope this helps!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

If it is hot in Zürich this August I shall be amazed. It is very cool right now... and we have had a very cool summer. Usually after 15 August the weather takes a turn for the worse - this year we are all hoping that the weather will take a turn -- for the better. but hot? Not at the end of August. Maybe 20-25°. Not more. (Today at 0800 here in Martigny it was 10°).

MarbE's sugestions about shoes etc are right on target. But I would bring a small folding umbrella with me no matter what. Vey useful in rain OR snow...

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

Thank you Hambagahle for insights on weather. After reading a lot from your posts and other destination experts posts I have build up an itinerary in my mind for a day in montreux and nearby places.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188108-i1375-k772…

I would really appreciate your opinion on this too.

Thanks again.

Nitasha

6. Re: Temperature in Switzerland (montreaux, zermatt, lucern...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:16