We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

I am arriving in Laussane from zurich airpot at 11 Am on coming friday(22-aug). After hotel check-ins and relaxing a bit , I am planning to start a day excursion to vineyards and montreux and then back to hotel in Laussane. Here is my plan:

Take a train from laussane station to Lutry (5-8 mins) and explore the lutry vineyards i.e. walk in the vineyards and wine tasting. Hoping that after getting out of station I will be able to follow any directions to vineyards and the town.

After having enough of Lutry vineyards , take a train to Rivaz/Epesses and spend some time there. I really wanted to walk between two vineyard towns but it seems that i have little time to walk and it's 2.5 hours long walk so I would prefer train to save some time.

Then take a ferry or lake boat from rivaz to chillon and see chateu de chillon. I know it's advisable to walk to chillon from montreux to enjoy the beautiful lake side scenery but I am thinking I would take ferry one way and will walk while on my way back to montreux from Chillon. Scenary should be same walking to chillon or walking back from chillon to montreux?

I shall take a stroll or visit some cafes in montreux and then take a train back to laussane and target would be to reach back to hotel by 9PM.

Please advise if my plan is doable OR I am missing something and it could be better. Also any suggestions on boat/ferry/vineyards will be welcomed .

Thanks in Advance.

Nitasha

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,661 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

Lausanne is probably not the best place to stay - hard to find your way around - but it is quite convenient for what you plan. However I would suggest that instead of going to Lutry you go to Vevey and take the train up to Chexbres. You will get more panoramic views over the whole Lavaux and the lake from there than you would close down to the lake at Lutry. You could walk down to St Saphorin from Chexbres in about 30 mins. Then take the lake boat from St Saphorin to Chillon. Visit Chillon, allow 2 hours and do take the audioguide at an additional 6frs as this makes the visit much more enjoyable.

Then either take the bus or walk back from Chillon to Montreux. You are right - scenery is the same! Just you don't have Chillon to look towards. Then after seeing Montreux train back to Lausanne.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

Thanks for your suggestions. I shall go with them and see vevey and chexbres. But If I check maps I see that chexbres will come first on my route from laussane to montreux and then it's vevey. So I should go to chexbres and walk to St Saphorin and then a train to vevey. And a boat from vevey to chillon. This way I will cover less distance and all things you mentioned. Tell me if there is any hidden issue that i can not see and you chose that path. To go to vevey and come back to chexbres (6.2 km extra) and boat will also take more time from chexbres.

Also i can go to the boat station and show swiss pass (8 days swiss pass) and ride it OR i need to reserve or book prior?

Would appreciate if you can suggest any cafe or something worth not missing in Montreux while i take stroll of the town?

Edited: 17 August 2014, 15:46
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

I am staying in laussane only because if could not find a reasonable priced good Hotel in montreux, which i found in laussane. So shifted my plan to stay in montreux to laussane.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,661 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

To get to Chexbres from Lausanne the easy way is to take a train to Vevey and change there. Lausanne to Vevey will take about 15 mins. Vevey to Chexbres another 15. I don't know what map you are looking at, but the station in Vevey is the stop before Montreux coming from Lausanne. And while it is possible to get to Chexbres from Lausanne by train and bus I think going via Vevey is easier. I suggest you take the train to Vevey, change for Chexbres, walk down to St Saphorin and then take the boat all the way to Chillon. Come back to Montreux on foot or by bus depending on how much time you have. Chexbres is high on the hillside above Vevey - at the "top" of the Lavaux actually. You will have lovely views of the vineyards and the lake as you walk down to St. Saph. (but I think I said that before!!)

Montreux - walk along the lakefront promenade. If you have time, poke around in the very small "vieille ville" of Montreux which is roughly on the same level as the station (Montreux is very hilly). There are plenty of cafés etc but the Zürich Confiserie is a Montreux "institution" and coffee or tea and pastry would be great there. It is on the main road in Montreux about a block in from the lake. Anyone can tell you where to find it and if you are on the bus coming from Chillon you will go right by it if you get off at the covered market. You can then walk back.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

I was looking at google maps.https://www.google.ae/maps/dir/Lausanne,+Switzerland/Chexbres,+Switzerland/@46.511958,6.667974,11z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x478c293ecd89a7e5:0xeb173fc9cae2ee5e!2m2!1d6.6335971!2d46.5199617!1m5!1m1!1s0x478e82a0a303d8f5:0xb5310f82cf2fb748!2m2!1d6.77904!2d46.48171!3e3?hl=en

But after looking at sbb.ch i can see your suggestion is right. To reach Chexbres from laussane is via vevey. althought it appears down on map than vevey. Can you tell which exact chexbres station i can get down , Chexbres, poste OR Chexbres, village or Chexbres, puidoux.. ?

Thanks a lot for all the information.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

Can you please tell if swiss pass will work on boat tickets (cgn) from any of the village to chillon . I can not see any information regarding passes on CGN site.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

The quickest way to Chexbres Village from Lausanne is via Puidoux-Chexbres. The journey only takes 14 minutes. Whereas via Vevey it takes 31 minutes.

>Can you please tell if swiss pass will work on boat tickets (cgn) from any of the village to chillon .

Yes.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

Thanks swissaholic for the info. I am confused whether i can take boat from vevey to chillon or i shall take train from vevey to montreux. PLease suggest if i am taking lake cruises on lake brienz, lucern or zurich, then this boat will be a different experience? or i can save time on that day by not taking boat. also boat service doesnt seem to be too frequent. Is it ok to arrive at Chillon castle at 6 PM? or it has closing timing ?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

Please tell how much time will it take to walk through each town i.e. vevey and chexbres.?

If i start at 1 from laussane , will i be able to reach montreux by 4.30 to 5 so that i can enter chillon before 6.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laussane to Vineyards to Montreux,Chillon. Itinerary help Pl

I thought I would just update this thread that It was a wonderful experience in the vineyards and montreux. I reached Chexbres and walkked to Rivaz from there.. Downhill walk and mesmerizing view of the vineyards, Though none of the venders were open to see during afternoon. But we enjoyed the walk and lake side view when we reached rivaz station. We took a train to montreux from there and walk along the lake to reach castle and planned to come by boat. But we missed the boat by 30 sec. So came back by train. BUt it was wonderful experience for me and my husband exploring these towns in switzerland.

Thanks All

Nitasha