We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Montreux

wales
Level Contributor
211 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva to Montreux

Hi fello TA's

I will be visiting Montreux for the xmas market 29th Nov - 1st December and well excited.

Can anyone advise the best form of transport from Geneva to Montreux? I would have liked a boat trip as we arrive somewhat 8:30 in the morning so plenty of time to get to Montreux but have been told the boats are away for that time of year.Train would be our second option. any suggestions?

Thanks x

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva to Montreux

I would take the train from Geneva to Montreux. Direct trains from Geneva Aiport! Takes about 1:15. Costs currently 2nd class 34sf.

See the www.sbb.ch which is the Swiss Train website

Edited: 25 August 2014, 21:57
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,665 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva to Montreux

There are no direct boats from geneva to Montreux even in summer - you have to go to Lausanne-Ouchy and change there... and the boats to Lausanne are few and far between. So - any time of the year the train is really the only way to go unless you are driving.

Trains leave the GVA airport for Montreux every 30 mins at 23 and 53 minutes past the hour from platform 3. However it would be a real shame to go straight to Montreux and not see Geneva which is a very pretty city. You could take any train from the airport to the main station (ALL trains from the airport stop there). And pick up a free transport pass in the Customs Hall which will get you into town and then gives you use of any of the trams and buses for 90 mins from the time you take the pass from the machine at the airport. (Airport to town takes 6 mins...) Check your luggage at the main station in a locker. Then take bus 8 over to the other side of the lake, getting off at the Metropole stop. Walk up a street in the opposite direction from the lake and you will find yourself on "les rues basses". From there follow the walking guide in this TA article:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

then work your way back to the station - you can get a tram directly there from the Place Neuve but remember to buy a ticket as your pass will have expired! And take a train to Montreux. They leave from platform 4 at 03 and 33 mins past each hour and travel time is an hour. It will be dark about 1700 at that time of the year. If you want to see the views of the Lavaux and the lake from the train you will have to take one from Geneva around 1500....

wales
Level Contributor
211 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva to Montreux

Thank you both for your helpful comments.

I think I will consider taking a look in Geneva for a few hours and catch the train to montreux. best of both I think :)

4. Re: Geneva to Montreux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:17