We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving into Zurich for a weekend visit...

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Driving into Zurich for a weekend visit...

I'm picking up a car in Stuttgart and driving over to Zurich on Friday. How is driving in Zurich? Do merchants accept euros or do I need to exchange some cash? Anything particular about doing a border crossing in a car? Feel free to answer questions I don't know I need to ask as well. TIA

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving into Zurich for a weekend visit...

Hello cfm0520 and welcome to the Swiss TA Forums. There are many posts about driving in Switzerland and what you will need to know already on this Forum. I suggest you start here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k3665…

Driving in Switzerland and in Zurich is very calm, but it can be congested on the highways especially around the airport and on the E-W bypass. You will need to purchase a highway vignette as soon as you cross the border, you can do this at the border itself, or at any petrol station nearby the border.

The Swiss currency is the Swiss Franc. Merchants will be very happy to take your Euros - but YOU will pay quite a discrepancy in the exchange rate... It would be best to change money, withdraw cash from an ATM, or pay by debit or credit card - all are accepted in most places.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving into Zurich for a weekend visit...

Unless you need the car for some countryside detours or transporting heavy things, you would be probably better off simply taking the train.

If you insist on driving don't forget to buy the Swiss motorway sticker (40Sfr) before or at the border - otherwise you risk heavy fines.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving into Zurich for a weekend visit...

... and you have to pay custom duties if you import purchases above some limits: …admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/…

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving into Zurich for a weekend visit...

It's very unlikely you will be charged any duty on personal belongings that you intend to take with you when you leave the country - I've never heard of it and I've driven into Switzerland many times as well as arriving by plane many times. If you are coming to Zurich on business, any business samples etc. may be an issue but I haven't heard of anyone being stopped at the border for some time now when driving.

Personally, I would park somewhere short of Zurich and catch a train - parking can be difficult and the streets are pretty crowded.

Have a great trip!

5. Re: Driving into Zurich for a weekend visit...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 13:15