We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day itenerary

4 posts
Save Topic
10 day itenerary

My husband and our friends are flying from Istanbul to Zurich feb 9-19, 2018. We booked the trip spur of the moment and have no accommodations or plans.

We are interested in Zurich, Rhine Falls, Interlaken, Geneva, and Lucerne. Are we missing something major? The guys are somewhat interested in skiing but aren’t expert level and will need to rent gear and possibly even clothes. We don’t want to be on a train every other day and are looking for a low key and relaxing holiday.

Any suggestions as far as itenerary? I know we need to book things quickly as February is high season for winter sports (so we read).

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,079 Reviews
from US$168.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,097 Reviews
from US$258.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
389 Reviews
from US$258.20*
5 replies to this topic
Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
507 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day itenerary

If you're serious about the skiing part of the holiday, you need to choose your resort and dedicate 7 days to being in that one place.As you're flying into Zurich, leave Geneva for another trip.

Most of all, I think you need to sit down with a map and look at the logistics of your plans. I'd book 1 or 2 nights in Zurich to visit the Rhine Falls and Luzern, and/or book a night in Luzern before heading up into the mountains to your ski resort. Also factor in that you might need a night in Luzern or Zurich on the return, depending on your flight time.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day itenerary

Thank you Angela for your input. We are just weighing all of our options right now and planning to make cuts and changes to our itenerary to make our trip doable as we do more research.

I think we may save skiing for another time when we can plan more ahead. We just took advantage of cheap airline tickets this time.

If we make the aim of our trip to see the pretty things (mostly nature) that Switzerland has to offer in February and eat good food and wander around some cities to do some shopping ... what cities would you recommend and how long of stays?

We would like to stay no more than 2 place but if we had to add a third that would be possible. We are hoping to have 1-2 bases and then do day trips from there. We get into Zurich a little past noon on the 9th and leave at 14:30 on the 19th.

Edited: 13 December 2017, 07:54
Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
507 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day itenerary

I recommend that you go skiing because it would be a lot cheaper than shopping every day :) I hate shopping, so hopefully someone else will pitch in with some advice.

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
38 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day itenerary

Hi Shanna. I'm no expert in Switzerland. We are going there for vacation for the first time in 3 weeks. My sister-in-law, based in Zurich has drawn up the 10 days itinerary for us, which I would like to share with you. Also hoping to get comments from DE experts.

Interlaken ( 4 nights) - explore town, Sightseeing Schithorn(or Grutschalp), Brig, Murren, Jungfraujoch, Grinderwald, boat cruise at Lake Thun.

Brig (3 nights) - explore Zermatt, Gornergrat Kulm, Betten, Bettmeralp

Lucerne ( 3 nights) - explore town, Pilatus Kulm ( or Mt Titlis)

Hope this helps.

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day itenerary

Angela, I was actually hoping that shopping would be cheaper than skiing but maybe I'm over estimating the cost of skiing? Also I should clarify that by shopping I mean more for fun souvenirs and keepsakes to remember the trip by.

DrClementLee, thank you so much for sharing! It does help!

Reply to: 10 day itenerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted