We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage transfer for connecting flight

5 posts
Save Topic
Baggage transfer for connecting flight

Hello everone,

I have an american airlines flight which would be starting from newyork and would be arriving to zurich at 17th dec 7:55 pm. I have a connecting flight from zurich to abu dabhi starting at 17th dec 10:10 pm , I have about 2 hours layover. I need to transfer my checkin baggage to the ethihad airlines which is at 10:10 pm. So the steps I think I have are claim my checkin bagge after arriving , then pass through customs and checkin the baggage and board the flight. I am not if i will the immigration check as i am not leaving airport. Is it possible to complete these steps in 2 hrs??

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,081 Reviews
from US$169.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,099 Reviews
from US$260.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
392 Reviews
from US$260.50*
13 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

Have you verified with AA if your luggage can be checked through to Abu Dhabi with Etihad Airways?

Or do you have a reason for accessing your luggage at Zurich airport - problem then is that baggage claim is after immigration (immigration for fights from and to countries outside Schengen zone), regular luggage checkin after passing customs and outside security zone.

Might be feasible in 2h, would not really bet on, and definitely prefer not having to do it.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,152 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

Is this on 2 separate tickets?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

Another problem is that if you do not have a visa for Schengen - you cannot leave the Customs area. So you cannot get your luggage...if you have to go and transfer it yourself. Even if you do not plan to leave the airport you HAVE to go through Immigration if your bags are not tagged to Abu Dabhi. If they are tagged through for the next flight - no problem. 2 hours is plenty. (Asssuming of course that the inbound flight to ZRH is on time)

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

Ya I checked with the American Airlines and they have told me that they can’t do the transfer. I wasn’t told about this while booking, otherwise I could have cancelled it. Now the rates are too high

This is a single ticket and I booked through American Airlines. I also spoke to them about this problem and they have told me that they would arrange something if I miss the flight

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,152 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

Something odd there as you say you have booked one through ticket. If this is the case then your baggage should be tagged and transferred automatically. That is one of the reasons for buying a through ticket and not separate tickets.

If you were to miss the Etihad flight it would be them that sort out the problem not AA.

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

This is really freaking me out. I don’t have any visa for Schengan. I am not sure if the bags are tagged to abu dabhi. I will call them and find out. Till now I am under the impression that the tags are added to the bags when I check again at the etihad airways for the transfer at Zurich airport.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,152 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

On one ticket they will be tagged at New York for Abu Dhabi.

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

I called both etihad Airlines and American Airlines and asked them who is responsible if I miss the flight because of transfer. Etihad airways representative told me that since I made the booking from American Airlines,they have to arrange something if I miss the flight. American Airlines also told me that they would arrange something if I miss the connecting flight

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,152 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

OK go with what you have been told.

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage transfer for connecting flight

I just called the American Airlines and they have told me that the check in bags will be tagged to the final location. So in this case, do I have to pass through immigration for getting to the bags ?? And if so do I need any visa ?? Could someone please answer me. I asked the Airlines the same questions , the representative told me to call US consular in Geneva to find out about this. I don’t know if they are the right people to contact.

If this doesn’t workout ,I will cancel the flight and have to rebook something else which would cost me a fortune.

Reply to: Baggage transfer for connecting flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted