We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Air

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Air

Want your opinion on the New Swiss Air as an airline....very good and old friends of ours are planning a June trip from NYC to Zurich to visit with Vitznau friends and then on to Lugano and Eze by car and then will fly from Nice on Swiss Air to St. Petersburg (Russia not Florida!) and then from St. P to NYC; they claim it is the only airline that can do these trips direct but we had heard some negatives....as we are concerned about their ages, we want to know your assessment

Zurich
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Air

The company is named Swiss International Air Lines (short Swiss) today. IMHO the airline is fine and the main advantage is Zurich airport as it is relatively easy and efficient to change planes there (in comparison to Frankfurt, Paris or London). The service is not as good as with the good old Swissair (R.I.P.) but not worse or better than other mian European airlines. On long haul flights they generally use newer airplanes with individual entertainment systems in the seats. I think your friends will be okay flying Swiss!

Cheers,

bowmore

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Air

I have flown Swiss a number of times, both short and long hauls, and have been very pleased every trip. In comparison to what I am used to in the US, namely United, AA & US Airways, Swiss planes are top notch providing in-flight entertainment in every seat (even coach) and generous drink service during the flight. I would take Swiss for a long haul flight any day and may even pay a premium to do so.

switzerland
Level Contributor
128 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Air

I agree with the previous poster. I now only fly Swiss when I go back to NYC (about twice a year) - the service is much better than any american airlines I have flown and the planes are clean. Entertainment is also quite good - you have your own monitor and can choose among movies/TV series/games.

I have also used Swiss for flights within Europe and to Asia and am always happy with it.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Air

Passenger comments:

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/swiss_air.htm

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Air

hmmm. I'd say the comments on that last link are not very good. I'm taking SwissAir from Boston to Zurich and then on to Florence. My family is very tall and we suffer from the lack of legroom on all US domestic flights and are worried about this long overseas flight. seatguru.com says the legroom is a little better, but the seats more narrow (which is hard to imagine).

hoping for the best. I guess the best thing is Zurich airport being a good airport to deal with after such a long flight and with jet lag.

Any encouraging words about this airline would be helpful.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Air

always remember that travellers who were happy with their flights, hotel, car rental, etc. are not usually the ones who post their expereinces on websites that collect comments! Hence the value of forums like TA where we can put good words when someone reminds us to do so with a question. I know many people are never happy with their flights and, where Swiss is concerned, people are still comparing it to the old Swiss Air and forgetting that even Swiss Air would be making economies in this day and age so it wouldn't still be the same.

If you're worried about Swiss, take a look at Continental from Newark. I've been flying with them for a few years now between the States and Zurich/Geneva and have been very satisfied.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
663 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Air

I use Swiss twice a year to fly between LA and Zurich and fly coach. Given the cost savings between coach and business class I anticipate some discomfort in seating on all airlines. How can an 11 hour flight be any other way. I believe the seat pitch is comparable between airlines flying this route. Swiss is the only non-stop airline on this route so I pay a premium for that.

On a long flight like this after you have accepted the cramped conditions and the 11 hour duration the biggest difference is in the entertainment system. Swiss has a top flight system with lots of on demand choices. This helps the time not spent sleeping go faster. They also offer efficient service but the food is no better than most coach fare. The bathrooms remain clean but this may be as much a reflection on the Swiss flying on the plane too.

I have had good luck transiting through Zurich and enjoy it as an interesting airport. It is better than CDG or FCO.

I'm not sure what people expect on a trans-atlantic flight but I've found the on time performance and predictability far exceed our domestic airlines.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Air

Air travel was not always so cramped. Airlines engage in a "seat pitch" war these days - because about 15-20 years ago, they all added rows of seats to fit more people in. Now and then, an airline will try to lure passengers by taking rows out and advertising "legroom" - when, what they are doing is just putting it back to the way it was (and the way it should be).

Overseas travel used to be almost "luxury" on many airlines. I have not flown overseas in about 22 years. So, as far as "expecting" - I guess it was more "hoping" that I could find an airline that would treat overseas travel better than "domestic" - since it's an even longer claustrophobic situation.

Europe
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Air

Swiss has received awards for being one the best airlines of the world and Zurich airport ranks into the top 5 in Europe!

Flying Swiss is flying safe, efficient, in clean, quiet and modern aircrafts, with well trained and multilingual flight-attendants.

At least, you'll get in touch with Switzerland already when boarding the aircraft.

Enjoy your (swiss) flight!

Linnen

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Air

Have flown Swiss short haul and haven't had any problems with them.