We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

We(husband & I) have the option of entering & exiting Switzerland from Zurich/Geneva/Basle through the Brussel Air flights.

We are interested in historic towns & picturesque landscapes,walks etc- not into shopping or outdoor activities like skiing.

Please suggest some non touristy pretty locations for this weekend break.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

Basel or Lucerne are pretty and historic and easy to get to from Basel or Zurich airports.

If you go to Geneva airport then Montreaux is very pretty and close to beautiful landscapes aound Lake Geneva and the mountains.

There's lots of specific advice about each in the forums that you can search for.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

Yes, really you are spoilt for choice if you select any of these places. My favourite area is surrounding Lake Geneva. However, this is just personal preference and with a little research I'm sure you'll find what appeals most. It's worth knowing that public transport in Switzerland is efficient, punctual, clean and easy to use. You needn't worry about taking the train from the airport to anywhere you choose. To plan journeys go to www.rail.ch or www.sbb.ch/en (same website).

If you flew into Geneva, I would agree that heading straight for the Montreux/Vevey end of Lake Geneva by train from the airport would be a good idea. There are lots of things to do. Some of my favourites include visiting the beautiful castle Chateau de Chillon, walking along the lake promenade, taking the little train up to the Rochers de Naye high above the lake for lovely views, catching a ferry on the lake, taking a funicular train through the vineyards, taking the train to some lovely thermal swimming baths, eating in mountain cafes...and the list goes on.

Alternatively you could take the train from Geneva airport with one easy change to the beautiful Medieval walled town of Gruyeres. Gruyeres itself is small, and can be quite touristy at points during the day (although not so much at this time of year), but it certainly quietens later and there are plenty of things to do to fill a long weekend. For example you can tour the chateau and the HR Giger Museum. You can tour the cheese museum near the station. Then, off the beaten track for many, you can take a local bus up to Moleson village and take funicular and cable car to the top of Moleson mountain for beautiful views (there is likely to still be some snow at this altitude given the good snow this year). You can take a short train journey from Gruyeres to the local town of Bulle with its pretty castle and interesting regional museum. A short hop from Bulle by bus are some lovely new thermal baths with mountain views in the pretty town of Charmey. If you prefer, the main sights of Gruyeres can easily be seen in a day trip from Montreux.

Happy trip planning wherever you end up choosing. You'll have a lovely long weekend.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,557 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

You almost have to stay down low and not go into the mountains if you want to walk in March - otherwise you will be in snow! If you took a flight to Zurich and then a train (1 hour) to Bern, and based yourself there you would have a beautiful and historic town to walk around and you would be about an hour from Lake Geneva - so a day trip to Montreux is easy - and 30 minutes to the lake of Thun and if you did want to venture up into the snow you would easily spend a day in the Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Murren areas.

Take a look at the website for Bern - www.berninfo.com - and the Swiss Federal railway website - www.sbb.ch/en

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

Thanks a lot. Will check individual forums.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

Would you suggest that we change the destination?

Rain/snow would keep us indoors. Please advise...

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

Please advise taking the weather considerations, will the scenic beauty be compromised by snow only?

If we take the train from Geneva do you suggest we base ourselves at Guyres to see the surrounding areas- Moleson etc

Any suggestion for budget b&bs?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

That's a difficult question really, because obviously we don't know what the weather will be like on that particular weekend. For me, I just ensure that I have plenty of layers and an umbrella and away I go. If necessary I focus on indoor activities until the rain passes. Spring is likely to have started at places like Montreux, but you can't guarantee it and also, yes, it might rain. However, rain in fits and starts is something you could likely encounter in most European destination during the Spring, so I wouldn't overly let it influence your decision.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,557 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

If rain or snow will keep you indoors I suggest you check the weather forecast for the end of next week now - it should be reasonably accurate.

I used MétéoSuisse, but their forecast only goes out 4 days. Accuweather or Weather.co.uk will give you a 15 day forecast. As of now, rain is coming tomorrow and then it will be lovely until at least Wednesday. I haven't checked the longer forecast yet.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

Gruyeres

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggest Itinerary for 3 nights 20 to 24th March

In my opinion, different types of weather add to the beauty of Switzerland. It is possible that views of or from mountain tops might be obscured by cloud. I know that some people find this disappointing, but I just see that as part of the cycle of mountain life. For many seeing snow is part of the attraction and is certainly not detrimental to how attractive you may find a place.

I think that if weather is a concern, and you do choose the Lake Geneva area, you might prefer to stay in Vevey or Montreux since this is at a slightly lower altitude than Gruyeres and tends to be slightly warmer. I stress that there is nowhere in Switzerland (and indeed most of Europe) that you could guarantee would be rain free. However, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that there will be snow in Gruyeres itself. I stay in family accommodation, so it is hard for me to comment on places to stay, but I know there have been some recent discussions about budget options near Vevey and Montreux. Look at this thread for a start and take a look at the hotel/B&B reviews here on Trip Advisor:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188108-i1375-k257…

In Gruyeres, there is a pleasant looking B&B I have seen whilst walking, which has good reviews here on TA. It is at the base of the hill, a shortish walk from the main walled town:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

www.lafermedubourgoz.ch/

You will find plenty of options as well if you look through the different forums and hotel reviews of the areas you are thinking of.

Have a think about all your options. Really only you can decide. As I said, weather doesn't put me off - layers, umbrella, a selection of flexible plans to allow me to roll with whatever I fancy on the day and I'm happy!