We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it easy to travel around Zurich and Lucerne?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Is it easy to travel around Zurich and Lucerne?

We are two adults and a 1.5 year old baby who wish to travel to Zurich and Lucerne. Are these cities easy to get around by walking and public transportation? The day tours look expensive, so we were hoping to avoid those. Would three days be enough to see both cities, we have limited time here. Any help is appreciated.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it easy to travel around Zurich and Lucerne?

The old part of Luzern is a walking town.

Zuerich has an excellent puiblic transportation system.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it easy to travel around Zurich and Lucerne?

The Zurich transport authority website www.zvv.ch is very helpful.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it easy to travel around Zurich and Lucerne?

You will not have enough tome to really enjoy both cities. If you would like to gat a taste of Switzerland, then you better go to Lucerne or to the Lucerne area. There there is enough to see for weeks. look at the previous posts (write "Lucerne" in the search field and you will get many posts about the area.

Lucerne is a very compact city and you can walk everywhere if you want. There are also busses (see www.vbl.ch).

For train schedules see www.sbb.ch/en and for the lake Lucerne www.lakelucerne.ch/en.html. You do not need to book excursions outside, there is nothing you could not plan yourself.

Have fun

Pore

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it easy to travel around Zurich and Lucerne?

I disagree, 3 days is sufficient time to get a "taste" of both cities. I did it myself in October '07.

Both are excellent walking cities, Lucerne very small and compact, and Zurich's public transit is easy to use.

The biggest "wow" factor for me was the Swiss train system, which was excellent. The train for me on a Saturday morning to Lucerne was quick, convenient and comfortable.

5. Re: Is it easy to travel around Zurich and Lucerne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 06:22