We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
republic of scotland
Level Contributor
574 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

A group of TartanArmy (Scotland football supporters) - we are planning to use Zurich s a base to visit Vaduz for the Liechtenstein game. Can anyone recommend central, cheap, clean accommodation in Zurich, ideally close to some decent bars ? Also, any info on travel to/from Vaduz - although we may have to organise bus hire to return the same night due to the 5000 Scotlnd fans expected to travel ! (and few hotels in Vaduz). Think there will be a couple of thousand based in Zurich.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

It might be that the SBB (Swiss train company) will organize special trains and busses for the Scotish supporter, it's the best to ask them directly. www.sbb.ch

For accomondation or go to www.zuerich.com

They can also help you to organize the a bus hire.

Of course there are other towns nearby where you could stay, but if you are looking for a good nightlife Zurich is where you want to stay.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

you know what I would do if I were you? I would contact SBB and postauto and ask them if they can offer a solution for the transport.

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/kontakt.htm

postauto.ch/en/…pag-kontakt.htm

there are no direct rains to vaduz, maybe you could think Sargans as a base?

http://www.sargans-tourismus.ch/1829835.htm

as for accomodations in Zürich, oller will know better, i will just give you the link to the youth hostel:

http://www.youthhostel.ch/hosteldetails.html?&L=1&user_hostels_pi1[location]=all&user_hostels_pi1[bez]=ZRH&cHash=0bd38acfe8

We had to renovate our youth hostel in Basel after the scots invaded (hi Roy) , so do take care this time .-)))))))

If you plan to take your own beer into Vaduz, remember this is at the moment a foreign country to switzerland, so import rules apply.

tak

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

You won't find Zurich cheap I think I read recently that it was the third most expensive city to live in the world and its not helped by sterlings low value at the moment. However ordinary working people have to live in these places too and you will find some prices comparible to the UK.

For accomodation I would check out www.accor.com they own the Ibis, Etap and Formula 1 chain of hotels. I have stayed at the Etap in Zurich just one stop on the train from the Hauptbahnhof and the city centre being within walking distance.

No doubt the authorities will put on extra trains and buses for the match unlike here in the UK they do this, the Swiss and Liechenstein transport is managed in close co operation. You will probably be bussed from either Sargans or Buchs to the football. as the railway station for Vaduz is actually in another village Schans! The railway has only line three stations in Lichtenstein and is run by OeBB Austrian Railways.

As an alternative to Zurich check out Chur this is the cantonial capital of the state of Graubunden only 20 minutes from Sargans and has several hotels including an Ibis. You could also have a look at Bregenz in Austria just over the Swiss Border and about 45 minutes from Lichtenstein.

Check out the public transport timetable on www.rail.ch

Edited: 09 February 2010, 11:27
Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

Stay in near-by Bad Ragaz, there are plenty of hotels and one very nice fairly large pub serving decent pub-food. I am sure when you ask them they would line up some musician unless you bring your own (bagpiper).

www.spavillage.ch/de/list.cfm…

…flickr.com/3198/3044090438_4f2ebc1175.jpg

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
574 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

Thanks for the quick replies !! I would suspect that the more organised Tartan Army members may organise a bus convoy to go to Vaduz at lunchtime and return after the game - this happened in Lithuania with about 90 busses going from Vilnius to Kaunas, and returning after the game.

There will probably be several bagpipers in attendance ! :)

Obviously if the Swiss recognise that there are 1000 or so Tartan Army in Zurich and decide to organise some transport then we will be most grateful. Do you think the people of Zurich will be up for a party with the kilted Tartan Army ? What is the best nightlife area, and what is the local view on drinking, singing and dancing in public, as the Scots love an alfresco party !:)

P.S. - Do you have any fountains ?

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
574 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

And thanks for all the rail info. I was confused initially as I thought there was no rail link into Vaduz, but Schaans seems only like a 20 minute walk which is nothing ! So is there a direct train from Zurich to Schaans ? As for the beer - yes there may be a few Tartan Army footsoldiers who enjoy a small beverage whilst seeing the local sights from the train..............but I thought it was an 'open' border ?

And, good point, how much is beer in a) bars, and b) shops ?

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

No there is no direct train between Zurich and Schaans. The most direct route to Vaduz is to take the train to Sargans and then the Postbus to Vaduz the bus terminates directly in the city under the shadow of the castle. You can buy a through ticket to Vaduz from any railway station or automatic ticket machine in Switzerland. A Zurich to Vaduz return cost 72 CHF www.rail.ch

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

The taking of drinks across the border is not an issue unless you intend to take a few barrels of whisky along with you! Though there may be some restrictions on the day for football fans, you've heard it all before!

Prices are a delicate issue with the Swiss Franc being so strong and the pound weak. You can buy beer by the case from the supermarkets.

A night area in Zurich is to leave the Hauptbahnhof by the main hall and cross the river Limmatt you will come to the Niederdorf district that is one of the areas of Zurich with Beer Halls, restaurants, etc.

Edited: 09 February 2010, 19:38
9. Re: Bars in Zurich, and travel to Vaduz ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 08:15