We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
164 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

We'll be in Zurich for one day and are planning to do a Gray Line trolley tour. Their website has an option to book in advance, but does anyone know if you can just show up at the tour time and hop on? I'd prefer not to make a reservation in case plans change.

Zurich Tourist Information – Offizielle Stadtfuhrungen
Visitor Centres, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Best of Switzerland Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Gray Line Zurich
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Foxtrail
Sightseeing Tours
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

We did this tour a couple of years ago on a Thursday in May, and just showed up, bought tickets, and went on the tour.

I suppose a lot depends on when you go; mid-summer holiday weekends will be busier and may need you to book.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 07:43
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

>We'll be in Zurich for one day and are planning to do a Gray Line trolley tour.

That seems like some massive waste of money. I don't know for sure what a "trolley tour" is (I assume not a tour of trolley buses) but if it is on four wheels it cannot access the most interesting places of the city. Unless you are handicapped, you will appreciate the city by a walking tour much more - just contact the tourism office (in the main station)

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

You will need to buy in advance, even if it is just on the day. When we turned up, even with tickets, there were only seats at the back left for us!

The tour is ok, but as others have said doesn't show you much you can't see on a couple of hours walking tour, although you have commentary.

Once it gets out of the city centre and up into the residential districts it's rather tedious.

Personally I would recommend picking up a ZVV tram map, on the back in green is a suggested walking tour!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

Hi, at the main train station (Zurich Hauptbahnhof abbreviated Zurich HB) there is a large visitor information office - stand on the street level with your back to the tracks and walk straight ahead to the far end and on the left is the visitor's office. There you can get maps and advice for a great walking tour. The highlights of Zurich are not seen from a trolley for sure!!!! You can walk a total of about 3 miles over a day and see terrific stuff!

The older parts of the city are along both sides of the River Limmat. The Bahnhofstrasse (one of the world's great shopping streets - stop at the Sprungli chocolate shop on the Barhhofstrasse at Paradeplatz for some sandwiches and chocolates - terrific picnic! Sprungli is the parent company of Lindt. Between the Bahnhofstrasse and the river, locate the Fraumunster and visit the Chagall stained glass windows - absolutely gorgeous and I'm not a big Chagall fan but I was really impressed! The windy streets between the Bahnhofstrasse and the river are just wonderful. Walk to the lake and then come back on the other side of the river through those winding streets to the station. Lots and lots of interesting shops, restaurants, etc. You can wander the streets on either side of the river for hours. The visitor's office will give you lots of points of interest to see and visit on your walk and can add much to this.

Oh, see about stopping at Schobers for a cup of hot chocolate - have the visitor's office mark it for you - it's a great place with hot chocolate that will knock your socks off! One of those must dos for any chocolate lover - at least once in life.

If you have a reason to do a tour, of course do the tour but, personally, I would never see Zurich from a trolley!!!

Hope this helps.

Zurich
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

You don't want to explore Zurich by bus unless you really have to. The entire point of walking around in Zurich is that you stroll through the small lanes in the old town or along the river / lake, none of which is possible with the bus. Save the money for some chocolate...

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
164 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

Thank you for the tips! This is our first stop in Europe and we arrive at 11 am. On prior trips to Europe, we've done these "hop on hop off" bus tours so that we can burn off the jet lag and stay awake as long as we can to re-set the body clock without getting totally exhausted with too much walking. Worked well in London and other cities, but sounds like Zurich is quite different for what the bus will access and what you can see.

I think we'll just get a map- we'll probably want to walk after a long plane ride anyway!!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

Unlike many European cities, the great parts fo Zurich aren't on the tram lines or even on streets with vehicle traffic. I know exactly what you mean about staying awake after flying from the US - it can be tough! I think you'll find walking around Zurich will fill the bill nicely because there is so much you can see and do in a very compact area so you'll stay "interested" enough to stay awake. There are a lot of great little cafes along the way where you can get a coffee or glass of wine (Swiss wine is one of the best kept secrets of the world!) to refresh yourselves.

Hope you have a great day in Zurich! It's a great city!

8. Re: Zurich Trolley Tours- book in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 08:17