We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Topic
First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

Can you please advise is there a huge difference in comfort, seating arrangement & luggage storage between 1st class and 2nd class?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

Seating in 1st class is single seat, gangway and then double seat. Luggage storage there is space at the ends of the carriages and between the two seats there is space for small bags.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

In long distance trains the difference is as Swisslover described - the seats themselves are pretty much the same.

In newer local trains, wherever there is a 1st class at all, it consist of exactly the same seats at exactly the same distance (besides different color of upholstering).

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

Hi Swisslover76,

To me, the biggest difference is the number of travellers, not the comfort of the seats. There are fewer travellers in first class, and if you are going in July or August, that may be important.

On the other hand, if you are travelling with children, they may have the opportunity to meet other children in second class -- which would be a great memory of your trip. It could also happen in first class, but it's less likely.

Have fun!

s

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

Going by today's post from Tmynatt.. I would go for First class as I would be travelling with kids and luggage.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188078-i653-k3711…

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

Hi Swisslover 76

Of course it is not nice what happened to Tymatt. Fortunately this does not happen very often. IMO it is a question of budget if you travel first or second class. For me the price difference is not worth the money.

pore

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

Agree..

But when travelling with lots of luggage and kids I would prefer not to take chance.

7. Re: First class or Second Class - comfort, seating & luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 05:18