We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Zurich to Milan

Windsor...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
train from Zurich to Milan

How much is the Train from Zurich to Milan? Is it scenic?how longs does it take?

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

Check out www.rail.ch for the timetable.

It is a very scenic route.

Windsor...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

Do we need to purchase train tickets ahead of time. or can we get them that day? Also we plan to stay overnight in Milan and then leave for Nice the next day also by train. Would we buy separate tickets in

Milan for Nice or buy all in Zurich.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

You can get cheaper tickets buy buying them in advance from the Swiss railway site for the trip to Milan and from the Trenitalia site for the trip to Nice you can also buy tickets on the day.

In Italy if you don't want to hurry you can use the regional trains which are considerably cheaper than the fast trains you can buy tickets on the day from the easy to use multilingual automatic tickets machines.

The most scenic route is Milano, Torino, Cuneo, (Col de Tende) Breil sur Royal to Nice. You may have to buy a ticket at Breil for Nice as it is the border station you have to change here as through trains from Cuneo to Nice have ceased.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

As for the scenery when traveling from Zurich to Milan, I thought it was pretty spectacular! We traveled from Milan to Zurich in October and the train ride was beautiful! I particularly loved knowing I was on a train when I spied a multi-kilometer back up at the Goddard Pass on the Autobahn. Apparently there was an accident that tied up traffic for hours. The train is the way to go for simplicity, speed and beauty! Moms

CMR
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

Does anyone know if the EC15 from Zurich to Milan at 0909 still runs, I've been checking the SBB site and it says to enquire via a form. I have and they replied to check their site! Very helpful....

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

There appears to be an EC15 Zurich Milano departing 08.31 arrives 12.50 runs 12 June to 10 Dec 2011 is that any use?

It was on the www.sbb.ch site

Gibel

Edited: 11 May 2011, 18:01
CMR
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

Thanks for that. Funny though, yesterday and earlier today the time was definately 0909 ! I'm still having the same problem however. Go to book it and it says use the form...perhpas there's a gremlin. The other option is the earlier train but that means changing, and with 2 elderly parents and their bags I don't want to risk a platform change with only 4 minutes.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

What date are you looking to travel?

The departure time of the EC15 Zurich to Milan train changes from 09:09 to 08:31 on 12 June 2011. The arrival time remains at 12:50.

CMR
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

I have received an email from them again this morning f it appears that they do not have prices after the 12th June when the times change, so I've just got to keep trying. Don't need to travel until August so not a problem.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Zurich to Milan

Which train route is the most scenic from Zurich to Milan--I see several posted on the train sites.