We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for a trip for the elderly?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
recommendations for a trip for the elderly?

Hello there!

Am planning a surprise trip for my elderly parents to Switzerland for 4 days. They will be in Lucerne for the first two days, and will most probably be in Zurich for the next two, for ease of flying out again. Unfortunately I will not be able to accompany them due to last minute work commitments. I was thus wondering if you might have any recommendations as to where they might enjoy going and, given that they don't speak/understand much English and no German at all, and have limited mobility (my mum has a bad leg) would find it easiest to navigate. (The 'candidates' I have for now are the zurich zoo, botanical gardens, and the old town)

Alternatively, would you suggest that Geneva might be a better place instead?

Thank you in advance!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,008 reviews
from US$169.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
347 reviews
from US$243.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,035 reviews
from US$243.50*
Mount Rigi Winter Day Trip from Zurich
64 reviews
from US$137.10*
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,036 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations for a trip for the elderly?

Hi athrt and wellcome on the forum

Why do they not stay at Lucerne? There is so much to see and to do around the area and it is only one train hour away from the airport (at least one direct train per hour). Have a look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) for much more information. So they even would not need to move the base.

pore

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations for a trip for the elderly?

I would also suggest staying in Lucerne, then they could spend a day on the lake getting on and off as they wish and catching the nest boat. A trip to Interlaken on the Brunig Line and again a trip on Lake Brienz and then back by train not much walkig involved. A stroll by the Lake in Lucerne. Your choice in Zurich, the Zoo involves a lot of walking, and the old town while small is hilly and and has cobbled streets. Although here again there are boat trips.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,314 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations for a trip for the elderly?

I would send them to Montreux. An easy train ride - about an hour - from Geneva, and the main part of the town is flat. They could stay in one of the lakeside hotels, take lake cruises and generally be pampered.

The chateau de Chillon is an easy bus ride from the town (10 m inutes) though perhaps for someone with limited mobility this isn't the best place to visit. How old are they, and what are their interests?

4. Re: recommendations for a trip for the elderly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:17