We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short connection in Zurich

Vermont
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
short connection in Zurich

I'm arranging a flight for my college age daughter from Florence to the USA in July. There's one with a 50 minute connection in Zurich with Swiss Air. I know it's tight, but it's so much better than the alternatives. Too tight? Will she have to go through Customs or Immigration? Is it difficult to navigate ZRH? Thanks

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short connection in Zurich

Zurich always seem to be a very efficient airport and if it is an a through ticket and a legal connection to Swiss' rules then it will be their problem to put her on another flight if the first one is late.

No customs or immigration - she will be leaving the Schengen zone.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,648 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short connection in Zurich

Hi, she'll be fine. The airport is small compared to, say, Heathrow and it's incredibly well organized. Assuming she isn't loaded down with a ton of carry-on, she should be able to get to her gate in about 15 minutes! Of course, she may wish to stop at Sprungli and pick up some chocolate so add a few minutes ;-) She just needs to go from gate to gate - no passport control or customs.

As above, if the ticket is sold with this connection, the airline is responsible for getting her on the next flight and any overnight, etc. that may be required if her first flight is late.

Hope this helps.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
17 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short connection in Zurich

While shopping at Spruengli in general is a very good idea ;-) I wouldn't do that in this case because the itinerary does include a terminal change from A or B to Terminal E where the US flights leave. And that means a short train shuttle ride, so there's no time left. There are also additional passport checks in front of the gate as usual when flying to the US.

Vermont
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short connection in Zurich

Thanks for the help. Now I'm tempted to make a trip and connect through ZRH, and plan a long enough layover to stop in at Spruengli.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
17 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short connection in Zurich

This may help your planning:

zurich-airport.com/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid…

6. Re: short connection in Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:40