We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in switzerland

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in switzerland

hello, where would be the best place to stay for a 2 week holiday in switzerland, around september time, for a non driving couple? we are happy to use trains and walk so need somewhere with easy enough access to tourist attractions eg historic sights (castles, churches etc) gardens, shopping. im guessing zurich is the obvious answer?

many thanks for any replies

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in switzerland

Leigh I would go for somewhere like Lucerne, it has good travel links with most of Switzerland, or if you want the Bernese Oberland somewhere on Lake Thun. Thun itself has good transport links as does Spiez further along the lake.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,720 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in switzerland

Hi LeighD83

I would assist the propopsal of the Lucerne area - www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) -.

As you have two weeks available, you could move to an other area after Lucerne. The Jungfrau area - www.myjungfrau.ch - would be a great oportunity and has a lot to offer. Also the lake Geneva area would be great (for exemple Vevey/Montreux - www.montreux-vevey.com and Top Questions about Montreux on the TA Montreux forum -) would be a great choice.

Lucerne is only one train hour from Zurich-Airport. If you choose to end at the lake Geneva area, I would choose a flight back from Geneva (railway station Geneva Airport) otherwise Zurich would be the better choice.

You can find your schedules for public transport on www.sbb.ch/en and railpasses on www.swisstravelsystem.ch

Happy planing

pore

Geneva, Switzerland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in switzerland

Hi Leigh 83,

Here is what I would recommend for a 2 week holiday considering that Switzerland has very short distances and very good train itineraries.

- Zurich

- Lucern

- Bern

- Montreux-Vevey --> If you have planed to do some easy treks you HAVE to go to Rocher de Naye. The view is absolutely incredible in this region. Especially because it is a vineyard region and the leaves are turning yellow and red.

- Zermatt --> the most famous alpine village.

- Ascona, Morcote --> My favorite places in the Swiss italian part

- Graubunden --> if you have time, this is the wildest part of Switzerland. The access is not easy but if you have time and you want to relax go to Therme Vals.

I hope it will help! Enjoy our beautiful country!

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in switzerland

thankyou all for your replies, they have been very helpful. im thinking lucerne seems a good option.

i have already asked this in another forum, but can anyone give me an idea how expensive switzerland really is? i know it is, but for example we eat out a lot, are restaurants really much more expensive than england? or the rest of europe?

many thanks again

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,720 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in switzerland

Hi LeighD83

You can get meals in restaurants between CHF 15.-- (budget) and CHF 100.- (or even more) per person (exclusive drinks). A main dish in a normal restaurant is between CHF 35.-- and CHF 40.--. Most of the time it is cheaper to have lunch then to have dinner.

It is a long time that I was nomore in England but that time England was for sure not cheaper than Switzerland for meals.

I hope this helps

pore

6. Re: 2 weeks in switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:41