We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
146 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

Planning a trip to Zurich in the beginning of May next year. We are a couple traveling from Sweden with our dachshund. Choosing between Steigenberger Hotel Bellerive au Lac and Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery Collection. Can anyone tell me which neighborhood is nicer if you want to take walks with your dog. Parks nearby would be nice.

I understand that the Bellerive au Lac is situated by the lake, but that it also has a busy road in front. Is the Continental in a more city-like area?

We are also open to other suggestions for dog-friendly hotels.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,040 Reviews
from US$168.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from US$257.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from US$257.90*
Swiss Alps, Heidiland, Liechtenstein...
876 Reviews
from US$90.90*
switzerland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

By the lake is a good place to walk your dog, so I'd recommend the Eden au Lac. You can either walk towards 'Zürichhorn', from where you've good a nice view of the Alps to towards 'Bellevue', which is right in the city center.

Remember to take one of the red plastic bags at the green Robidog trash cans to pick up your dog's left-behinds (and just throw it back into these green cans, which you'll find pretty much everywhere in the city).

Btw, you can take your dog pretty much everywhere, only places that sell food (also the bid department stores) are forbidden to them. If you have him in a bag he travels for free in tram/bus/train (he is under 35cm height, I suppose). If he's on the ground (or over 35cm height) you need to buy him a half-fare ticket.

I cannot recommend on any hotels, since I live here (and have a dog ;-) ).

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
146 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

Thank you for a great reply!

We always bring our own plastic bags so that won't be a problem.

He is under 35cm in height so that is good to know.

Could you possibly recommend any restaurants or cafés were dogs are allowed if there are any? In Stockholm we have a few.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
switzerland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

I actually don't know if there are any restaurants or cafés that do *not* allow dogs; we always bring ours anywhere and have never encountered any problems. If you make a reservation, best tell them you're bringing a dog so they can reserve a table by a wall or somewhere else where there's enough space for him. Our dog is used to sleeping under the table.

Could you tell me which restaurants in Stockholm allow dogs? We've spent our last summers in the archipelago but have always left our dog at back home (with family, of course). We are thinking of taking him along next time.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
146 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

That sounds like a VERY dog-friendly city. In Stockholm most of them won't let you (because of regulations) but here are a few:

Restaurants:

Bistro Noveau

Elverket

Cafés:

Il Caffée

Himmelska hundar (specializes in dogs with their owners, with a special dog menu)

And between May and September you can bring your dog to most of the restaurants that have outdoor seating.

Just outside of Stockholm there is a castle called Häringe Slott were they allow dogs. Both in some rooms for overnight stays and in the restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
switzerland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

Great, thank you!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,082 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

Almost all hotels and restaurants here allow dogs. You do need to tell the hotel when you reserve that you will have a dog and there is usually a nightly charge for the dog (in 5 stars could be 30+frs). I also live here but not in Zürich and also travel with my dog. The places I have had problems bringing the dog into a restaurant are mostly in Geneva and I believe this is because they get a lot of Arab clientèle for whom dogs are not acceptble. I always ask a restaurant when reserving a table if I can bring my dog, out of courtesy. And a shop, before taking him in. But I have seen dogs in department stores and in supermarkets. I really do not approve of the latter!!

Did you know that TA has a new forum "Travelling with Pets" - very useful to those of us who do!!

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
146 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

I did not know of the Pets-forum, will check it out thanks!

We decided on the Continental MGallery Hotel near the central station. Could someone maybe recommend any dog-friendly restaurants nearby? We like all kinds of food.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,082 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

Most restaurants in Switzerland accept dogs... except in the Ticino. I have a dog and travel with him from time to time. When I reserve I always ask if he is welcome but so far he has not been turned down with the exception of two places in Geneva...

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

I see I'm a bit late in this topic and hope someone finds my post. I am traveling alone with my little dog to the M.E. and have a long stopover in Zurich he's a rescued mutt 6 Kilos and 10 y.o. VERY well educated. He also has service dog status in the U.S. but I don't know is Swz recognizes this. I was hoping to stay at a hostel during my 21 hour layover but they said no. I've never been to Zurich so am very excited to get such a long layover I'll feel a lot better if I know my dog and me are going to find a place to stay that fits us.

I am basically going to sleep a lot after a 13 hour flight and 6 hours of layover before arriving and then hope to see some of Zurich! I don't have a lot of spare $ to spend on a hotel and really getting nervous about where I can stay with my dog. I tried aibone.com but most of the people had cats so they didn't want a dog around. Am open to any suggestion as I'm leaving in just a few days from Oregon. Thanks ahead of time!

Edited: 03 December 2013, 07:42
Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
146 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zurich with small dog - which hotel?

As stated earlier we stayed at Continental MGallery Hotel near the central station. It was good for staying with a small dog (not the largest rooms). Not too expensive. Can't help you with any other suggestions I'm afraid.