We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

My family of 3 plus an 11month old baby boy are thinking of going to Jungfraujoch from Zurich inmar 2013. Is the journey suitable for the baby ? considering the distance and altitude ?

Can anyone advice ?

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

Well KgsSingapore, first off welcome. Now Jungfraujoch is about four and a half hours from Zurich so as a day trip I would say no. Altitude wise for a young baby from all I have read I would also say no. If you want snow covered mountains in March I would wait until arrival in Zurich and then check the conditions on either Rigi or Pilatus and make a choice. But don't take the baby to the summit. Both mountains are near Lucerne which is only one hour by train from Zurich. Before you leave Singapore ask the baby's doctor what he/she recommends and follow the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,465 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Canandaigua
Level Contributor
727 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

I'm a doctor. No, I would not recommend taking a child who is not acclimated to that altitude until they are old enough to complain reliably of symptoms of altitude sickness.

So for me, that means age 4 or 5.

When I had 2 young children( ages 2 and 3), I went as far as Kleine Scheidigg and everyone else went up without me. There is a restaurant there, and a sun terrace. we had been in Grindelwald for several days prior, as well. Zurich is not high up, so does you no good.

Think of being up there with a young child or infant wailing uncontrollably, or worse yet , sleeping and you can't really wake him or her up....

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

Hi

Thank you very much for the advice. Greatly appreviate it.

singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

Thank you very much for the advice. Greatly appreviate it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

March . The ski season. If you go on a booked excursion with a group then you will get a pre-booked carriage but everyone else uses the normal trains. There's room for everyone but a lot of it is standing room, you could be standing for half the way up the mountain. It's an incredibly long day from Zurich.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
6. Re: travel from Zurich to Jungfraujoch - suitable for baby ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 06:18