We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland/Austria/Germany Itinerary help please!

Delaware
Level Contributor
36 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland/Austria/Germany Itinerary help please!

We are going on our honeymoon end of May next year. I can’t decide where I want to go and Switzerland/Germany/Austria is an option. I’ve traveled quite a bit around Europe when I studied abroad a few years ago but never made it to Switzerland or Austria. Trying to plan out a couple of trips to see what I want.

We don’t like to sit around and not do anything. We enjoy walking around and sightseeing. Museums bore us fairly quickly. We are looking to hike and do some activities. We like to stay busy.

I am usually pretty good at planning trips BUT I’m finding Switzerland really confusing. Not sure why.

But here’s the 1st round of my itinerary. I feel that it’s a lot of traveling but I’ve also gotten the sense that some of these cities are 1 day cities. I may be very wrong!

Fri night Fly to Vienna

Sat Vienna

Sun Vienna Evening Train to Salzburg (2.5-3hrs)

Mon Salzburg

Tues morning train Train to Munich (1.5-2hrs)

Wed Munich Evening Train to Lucerne

Fri Lucerne

Sat Lucerne Golden Express to Interlaken

Sun Interlaken

Mon Interlaken

Tues morning train to Zurich

Wed fly from Zurich-US

Activities I’m thinking of:

Lucerne:

Mt. Pilatus

Hiking

Boat ride on lake

Interkalen:

Hang Gliding

Seilpark

Harder Kulm Hike

Thank you for any help you can give me!!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$173.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from US$249.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,040 reviews
from US$249.80*
Heidiland and Liechtenstein Tour from...
859 reviews
from US$93.80*
Louisiana
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland/Austria/Germany Itinerary help please!

Lucerne is a beautiful Swiss town. I found the boat ride on the lake to be very relaxing. The views from Mount Pilatus are stunning. You can both stay overnight on Pilatus and hike. Interkalen is also a nice town and the activities you have planned should be good cause for a great nights rest.

Happy planning....

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland/Austria/Germany Itinerary help please!

Personally, I think you are spending a lot of time running from place to place, and if you want to do all these other activities like hiking etc, you may want to go less places but really enjoy them for bit longer. Personally I think day trip or one day in Lucerne is more than enough, and you can do it easily from Zurich, or on your way to Interlaken etc. I don't know how cost conscious you are but trains in Switzerland are not cheap, even just a trip from Zurich to Lucerne or visa versa. I appreciate your point re bored by museums but Vienna in 1.5 days is pushing it, just my personal view, it is a beautiful place, and if you just rush through it you do not get a sense of the place, also it being your honeymoon, i dont know if you also want to relax a little after the hectic wedding times, and in Vienna one of my absolute favourites before you start train hopping and travelling is small luxury hotel called Das Tyrol, excellent location, its nothing terribly fancy but they have amazing breakfast included in the price, art, service, but more importantly little spa that you can book out just for the two of you,with an Aquarium wall, different saunas, relaxation area, tropical showers, colour therapy etc. I always book it here with www.yeego.com for some reason for this hotel they always have the best rate, though booking.com sometimes does too. Salzburg is beautiful and don't miss "off the beaten track" hike around the outer city wall, just ask people for directions to the woman's monastery, its on top of the city wall and the opposite end to the castle, etc, the views from there onto Salzburg and the river are stupendous and no tourists. I was shown it by a friend who is a local. If you want any suggestions or walks or whatever on Zurich, pls write me offline.

canada
Level Contributor
7,843 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland/Austria/Germany Itinerary help please!

You want to hike, but all you have listed are cities. Does that imply that you only want to beat the city streets and malls?

If not, please consider Salzkammergut, Castles of King Ludwig, and Murren, If you don't mind venturing a little further, look at Tubingen and Strasbourg.

4. Re: Switzerland/Austria/Germany Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:19