We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

SC
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

We live in U.S and will be staying in France, but have just booked airline tickets out of Zurich. After looking more closely at just how beautiful your country is, I am thinking of including some vacation time here (4-5 days at least). Also, we saw that the rail system has a family card which allows the children to ride free! How awesome! Has the family card been a long-term program which will likely still be around next summer?

So, now the real questions:

1. Given we will travel using the family rail card (which includes free city travel, boat rides, and many museums) anyone have any great ideas for travel options using the rail? We will likely enter Switzerland at or near the border of Geneva. And, we definitely want to do at least one of the lake boat rides. Oh, and we have 3 boys who will be ages 14, 10, and 8.

2. We may want to be "stationed" around Zurich as we may have a good amount of luggage and we may want to store it at the Zurich airport several days before flying out.

3. Can we see enough of the country by rail so that we don't need a car?

4. Though we do want to see the most beautiful sights...we don't necessarily have to be in the most traveled (or touristy!) places!

Thank you all for your help!!

Boston MA
Level Contributor
135 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

We too just also got back from a 7 night trip to Switzerland with our two children and it was fantastic. We did 2 nights Lucerne, 3 nights Wengen and 2 nights in Montreux. I could have easily added an extra night to each location. The highlight of the trip was Wengen / Bernese Oberland. This place is beautiful and there's so much to do. Overall Switzerland is just beautiful. As the weather may not be cooperative, pack appropriately for the weather and have a back up plan for what to do on rainy days.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

As you will have some luggage for a quite a long trip with a family of five, to travel by public transport will be ok, but to store the luggage in the train might be a bit tricky. So I advise you to organise two bases. One around Montreux and one in Wengen. From this bases you can do some daytrips to a lot of the interessting places all the others have mentioned.

Montreux

Castle of Chillon

Wineyards

Boat trip Lake of Geneva

Museum of Olympic games in Lausanne

Wengen

Mt. Jungfrau

Mt. Schilthorn

Swiss Open Air Museum Ballenberg

First Flyer Grindelwald

Rope Park at Interlaken

(indoor Rope Park at Grindelwald)

Hiking

Trümmelbach Falls

Enjoy you trip.

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

Hi,

I'd like some Switzerland travel advice please. I'll be going to Switzerland from Strasbourg France in July for approximately 4.5 days. I'll be in Strasbourg until Wed July 9 then I plan on taking the train to Basel which I guess will let me go further to the area close to Interlaken where I've booked a hotel for Thu and Fri night in Wilderswill. Is that a good area to be in? The hotel is Jungfrau and looked clean and quiet with valley and mountain views.

I was thinking I could check out on Saturday and go to Lucerne and stay Sat through Monday in Lucerne (I've booked a second hotel there for 2 nights in Weggis. I leave for the airport on Tuesday morning to catch my flight in Zurich. Is that enough time for me to cover some of the nice scenic areas where I can get some mountain, scenery, cafes, flowers, walking around a lake and perhaps a boat ride? I have been researching and will continue to do so and can cancel my hotel reservations since I made them through hotels.com. I would love to get a taste of Switzerland without going overboard with traveling on trains all day long.

Thank You,

Preeti

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

Hello!

We are planning a trip to Zermatt later this year. We have about 4 days to plan outside of Zermatt and I was curious about your post re: Wengen / Bernese Oberland. Your family really seemed to like it. What kinds of things did you do (we also will have our 3 kids with us)? Where did you stay?

thanks!

Edited: 05 July 2014, 14:27
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

Hi, this thread was originally a year ago and many people stop checking or responding to old threads (they open up and see the first post date and go no further). I would suggest you start your own thread or see if you can PM the poster whose trip is interesting to you.

Hope this helps.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

Hi all:

Read your conversation and realized that you may help me to make a plan for 4 days. Will you, pls?

1) We are a family of 5. With one kid of 8 yrs and 2 seniors of age over 70. Would like to go to Interlaken from Zuirch ariport. From Interlaken we have a plan to visit Jungfraujoch, Lucerne, Broc, Gruyeres etc. by 4 days. after that from Interlaken to Paris. Which Swiss Pass/card is perfect for us? There are 54 kind of cards/passes, I am confused. Kindly suggest.

2) My mother of 71 years old and she had the knee replaced couple of years back. She can walk but it would be tough to walk hills or more ups and down.

3) My daughter wants to play with Ice.

What we have planned-

Day 1 : Zurich to Inetrlaken Ost by train >> Hotel check in and walk around

Day 2 : Ineterlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch by train >> Full day >> (Snow Fun park with entry level skiing and snowboarding , Glacier zip-line, Ice tunnels below the glacier ,Alpine Experience – a moving walkway through lights, music, and displays)

Day 3: Ineterlaken Ost to Lucerne by train >>

Day 4 : Interlaken Ost to Broc-Fabrique by train>> Visit a chocolate factory

Day 5: Interlaken to Paris via Basel

LOOKING for your suggestions:

1) What would be the ideal base for us?

2) Do you have any recommendation of a budget Hotel near train stations?

3) How to commute the places I have mentioned above with my mother ?

4) Any better plan to utilise our 4 days?

Will appreciate your help, tips and suggestions.

Best Regards.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

You are posting these in two threads at least. That's not really fair to those of us who try to answer and help. Please just use on thread or start your own thread so that we aren't answering you twice.

18. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 17:35
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

We will be going to Switzerland soon. We are arriving in Zurich and then planning on going to Lucerne and Wengen. Could anyone who has been there let me know about hotels in Wengen and Lucerne that you stayed at and whether they were good. Also, any information about the trains between these three places would be very helpful.

Thanks.

20. Re: 4-5 days in Switzerland with 3 children next July (2014)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:16