We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Choosing between Continental hotel vs Swisshotel. Arrive ZRH 6am stay for one full day and night

.and leaving the next day noon from HB train to Florence.

Which hotel with easier access from airport (by train) and sightseeing for the day

Then next day noon from HB to Florence.

Between these two which is in a safer area offer for solo traveller?

Thanks for insight

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

I'm not familiar with the Continental but am with the Swissotel. It's a great hotel in a very nice area of Zurich. It's just across the street from the rail station on the line between Zurich Airport and the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). There's a small shopping center across the street and some shops and restaurants in the neighborhood.

By train it's about 6 minutes from the airport to the Oerlikon station and the Swissotel and another 6 minutes to the Hauptbahnhof. It's easy to go into the city for the day and evening and then get back to the hotel.

I am an older lady and I travel alone. I would not hesitate to recommend the Swissotel.

Hope this helps.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Swissotel Zurich is in fact in Oerlikon, a former industrial suburb, with industrial area mostly transformed into office space now. Oerlikon is more or less between Zurich aiport and Zurich main railway station.

The hotel is next to Zurich Oerlikon railway station and a small square, several shops nearby, a few restaurants and bars. Relatively quiet, nothing really interesting.

Trains from Zurich airport railway station to Oerlikon take some 4-6 minutes, from Oerlikon to Zurich main railway station 6-8 minutes. And serveral trains per hour.

In addition, bus services are available from Zurich airport to Oerlikon, and tramway from Oerlikon to Zurich city center - almost half hour for each trip.

Continental hotel Zurich is at walking distance from Zurich main railway station (time table shows 7 min).

The hotel is not on a really quiet place, limited view - but close enough to city center (and old city).

Considering public transportation possibilities, I would probably opt for Zurich Oerlikon, with then one or more trips tor Zurich center.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Thanks at first I thought hotel continental is closer to old town and HB is better. Is The area of continental not very safe??

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Hi, I just looked on a map for the location of the Continental and I would prefer the Swissotel for neighborhood - the street along there is not particularly inviting to walk after dark. There is so little personal crime in Zurich that it probably doesn't matter but......

You are certainly closer to the Old Town (Altstadt) but no if you arrive from Oerlikon at the main station - the main station is closer and the tram stop from Oerlikon is even a tiny bit closer.

canada
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Walk from HB to Continental is uphill. I remember staying there decades ago, frequently woke up by cars revving up to climb.

Tram #11 takes 18 min from Swisshotel to Paradeplatz (for Fraumunster).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Then what about the area of Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel? Is it better access from airport n to HB

Plus sightseeing for the day? Vs Swisshotel so I don't have to take tram back and forth between old town and

Oerlikon?? Thanks. I most likely will steer away from Mcgallery Continental

Since first time returning to Zurich after 15 yrs.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Then what about the area of Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel?

Close enough to lake Zurich, close enough also to Zurich main tourist area - but mostly a business area. Have not been there for a while, was kind of quiet the evenings.

Regarding public transportation: www.sbb.ch shows not only train connections, but also other public transportation including boat, bus, tramway.

Enter full address - or even "Zürich, Sheraton Neues Schloss Hotel Zürich" - and you will get detailled information on train, bus or tramway to use, plus estimated walking distances.

For Zurich Oerlikon to Zurich HB: you can use train OR tram. Train takes less than 10 minutes, tram takes more time (because of many stops), but lots of connections and not only to HB - for instance to Bellevue (lake shore) around 15 to 20 connections per hour during daytime, with some 5 without changing tram.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Thanks I ll go for Swisshotel then since I ll be getting a Zurich card or a zvv day pass and my legs to spend the whole full day

Thanks All.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Remember, too, that your Zurich Card is good for the trains from Oerlikon to the main station. When you get it (you can get it at the train station ticket window at the Zurich Airport), tell them you will be staying in Oerlikon and need to go back and forth to the Hauptbahnhof (main station) so you will have the right zones - I can't remember if need more zones or not. Anyway, they will arrange the correct card for you

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental (exsofitel) vs Swisshotel access from airport

Thanks Kileysmom. I didn't realize Zurichcard has zones restricted I just assume all zones incl boats.

I just kind of worry the area of Continental hotel is kind of shady.

But Zurich card is only 24 hrs. Flight will arrive at 6 am and next day I ll depart train HB at 11 am that won't be covered.