We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

CMH
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

We are a family with a 9 year old travelling to Zurich in Jan 2014 for 3 days.

Our budget for sightseeing, food is $300-$350 per day and that includes staying at Hilton Zurich.

I seek ideas around what to cover in the 3 days. How cold would it be and what kind of activities can be included during that time. We are not into skiing or snow boarding.

Love museums, photography or travelling in trains (may be a good day train journey exploring the landscape). Any special notes around parts of town to be avoided.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

Have you already checked hotel prices? I think that your budget of USD 300-350 is just about enough for bed and breakfast at the Hilton. There will nearly nothing left for dinner, transportation, museums etc....

If you like to move around and visit some museums, then I recommend to buy the Zurich Card (CHF 48 for 72 hours, including unlimited access to public transportation in and around Zurich and museum entrance fees).

There are several interesting museums, Landesmuseum (history) and Kunsthaus (art) are the most important ones. See zuerich.com/en/…Culture.html for an overview.

January is the coldest month here. Average temperatures are around freezing point. It can snow, but also rain is possible. Outdoor activities are limited during this time of the year. Often there is fog in and around town, but sun in the mountains. If this is the case, a trip into the mountains is recommendable. Sometimes it's enough to go up to Uetliberg (the small mountain above town, reachable by train from the main station), or you could visit the higher peaks of central Switzerland like Mt. Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis - all of them reachable by public transportation. They could be combined with Lucerne, which is a lovely town.

On a sunny day, a cruise on lake of Zurich is recommendable.

There is a great zoo above town, which your kid would love. Even recommendable with bad weather as there is a huge rainforest hall and other buildings.

Otherwise just explore old town and do some shopping on Bahnhofstrasse. There is a description of a walking tour under the top questions on Zurich forum.

Zurich is a safe town and there are no areas which you should avoid.

CMH
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

Thank you so much for your insight and suggestions ... They will surely help us. Would u recommend a city tour option and doing per- booking for the trips to mountains and other sites outside the city... If so which one do u think is good to go with...

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

I think there is no need of booking organized tours. You can easily move around on your own, in your own pace.

But if you like to do a guided city tour of Zurich, I recommend the walking tours organized by Zurich Tourism. Their guides are good and you would see more than on a bus tour as many attractions of Zurich are in pedestrian zones.

CMH
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

Awesome.. this truly helps us plan our visit and try to make the most of it. Thank you so much for your insight. We did review the options available from the zurich tourism website you included in the initial note and have now shortlisted a few tours we will do . so, thanks once again for your input.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

You say ' a few tours' and you are there for 3 days. Think about having some time to see what you want to see, at your own pace, particularly as a 9 yr old may want to spend more time to stop and take in the surroundings than is practical on an organised tour.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

We took a two day trip to Zurich in February of 2011. Our three kids had a great time! Here is my trip report. I hope it is helpful. We did not take any tours. We found Zurich and Lucerne extremely easy to navigate.

tripadvisor.com/…31522647

We returned with our oldest daughter in the fall of 2011. This trip report includes a boat ride on Lake Zurich...so beautiful!

tripadvisor.com/…31522647

We plan to return in November with our two older children who will be 18 and 20. This time, we will be celebrating Oktoberfest and the Wine Fest. Our daughter interned for a vineyard and winery last summer so she is hoping to meet some vintners and wine makers and potentially secure an internship in Europe next summer. I have my fingers crossed! Certainly she will need her mother's assistance moving to and from such an internship!

Have a great time!

Enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Info for Family trip to Zurich for 3 days over January 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:20