We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel or Zurich?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Basel or Zurich?

We have one night to spend in either Basel or Zurich before a river cruise out of Basel. Travel agent recommends to stay in Zurich and train over. If we stayed in Zurich, where should we stay to get a taste of Zurich. Moderate budget. We would like good area and ideas for what to do for evening. IF Basel would make things easier, where to stay and what to do there? THX!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,014 reviews
from US$175.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from US$252.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,038 reviews
from US$252.70*
Heidiland and Liechtenstein Tour from...
859 reviews
from US$94.90*
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel or Zurich?

No question, I would stay in Basel. We did a day trip to Zurich from Basel last summer and we did enjoy it but a day was enough. We stayed weeks in Basel and there are still so many things that we didn't get a chance to do. It's a beautiful city with an incredible history. There are almost 50 museums so there's sure to be one of interest. With only a day, I'd be sure to do a self guided tour of the alstadt area (old town), cross the bridge and walk along the Rhine and maybe get a faeri back to the other side, then visit the Munster and go to the top if time. There's a self guided tour somewhere on TA that Maetzli wrote I believe. I"ll see if I can find it.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,861 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel or Zurich?

Totally agree! Arrive at the airport in Zürich. Maybe stop for a few hours to see the old town in Zürich which is lovely. Then go on to Basel. And here is Maetzli's walking tour link:

tripadvisor.com/…37811992

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel or Zurich?

If your budget allows, I would like to recommend Hotel Krafft am Rhein. (where Hermann Hesse wrote his famous "Steppenwolf").

Otherwise Hotel Rochat is really nice and relatively cheap, Close to the old city center and the nice restaurants such as Harmonie or Restaurant Schnabel.

Edited: 13 October 2013, 11:42
4. Re: Basel or Zurich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:18