We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine Falls and Black Forest

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rhine Falls and Black Forest

Request your guidance on how to visit Rhine falls from Zurich in Early April. Also, is it possible to visit to Black Forest from there? Request guidance on that as well. I will be having Swiss Pass and Schengen Visa.

I intend to visit both the places in 1 day and return back to Zurich in the evening. Kindly suggest if this is feasible?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,414 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

Hi rasputinczar

Rhinefall is dead easy from Zurich. You can take the train from Zurich to the Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall railway station - see www.sbb.ch/en - and you will hop of the train at the entrance to the Rhinefall,

For the Black Forrest (which is in Germany) it depends a lot where you would like to go. You can find timetables on www.bahn.de

For example if you would like to travel from the Rhinefall to Freiburg i.B. via Freudenstadt it would take you +/- 5 1/2 hours and from Freiburg back to Zurich an other an other two hours. So I think if you would do this roundtrip it would be too much for a day. If you want to do less, why not.

pore

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

Black Forest is rougly a 150 km area starting at German-Swiss border, wide some 30 to 50 km, basically between Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Basel und Lake Constance. Plenty of smaller or larger more or less well known places (Baden-Baden, Freiburg, Villingen, St.Blasien .....).

Tourism has become an important economic activity - mainly hiking in spring, summer and fall, some skiing in winter (more for nordic skiing than alpine, the mountains being relatively low).

So question is what you really want to see or experience in Black Forest. Not all places are acessible by train. Swiss Pass is valid in Switzerland, not in nearby Germany. Germany and Switzerland being both part of Schengen area, no immigration check or control is allowed at the border (but customs).

For more specific information on Black Forest, best most probably is using forums for Germany.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have done basic research and found following places which I would like to visit

1. Visit Rhine Falls from Zurich

2. Proceed towards Titisee-Neustadt/triberg area

3. stroll around Lake Titisee.

4. Visit forests of Lenzkirch.

5. Return back to Zurich

Request your suggestion to set right the schedule and still visit the most scenic part of Black forest and also enjoy the Rhine Falls.

I intend to leave early at around 8 or 8:30 in the morning from Zurich. Kindly also suggest Public transport for the correct travel schedule.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 13:13
canada
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

Here is a rough suggestion, please get the detail information from the Baden-Wurttemberg forum.

From Rhein Falls, go through Schaffhausen to Singe. Change trains to Triberg. Train to Titisee; bus to Lenskirch. Return to Titisee and proceed to Freiberg, change train to BaselSBB, then train back to Zurich.

Mind you in early April, nobody will be sunning along the beach by Titisee; nor stroll around anywhere in a festival atmosphere, not really the time to disturb the cuckoo's nests.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. Me and my wife had great time last week in Switzerland and we greatly benefited by your tips.

Thank you again.

perth
Level Contributor
381 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

Hi rasputinczar, just wondering whether you made it to the Blackforest region and if you did could you please share your details, I would be interested, as thinking about going there, but was considering doing a tour.

Good to hear you had a good time in Switzerland.

Thanks

Bugibba, null, Malta
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

looking for a tour to go both places ( rhine falls and black forest ) any help pls going in august

8. Re: Rhine Falls and Black Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2016, 05:16