We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich Christmas Day lunch - child friendly but high quality

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich Christmas Day lunch - child friendly but high quality

hi all,

we will be in Zurich for Christmas Day and would like to have our Christmas Day lunch somewhere really special and memorable but will be travelling with a baby and a five year old. Thinking a hotel buffet might be our best bet. We are willing to splurge on a special meal that we can take time over and the adults can enjoy a few nice glasses of wine.

thanks for your ideas!

btw we are staying close to the Bahnhofstrasse.

Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich Christmas Day lunch - child friendly but high quality

hi michaela_anchan

I'm responding here, not because I have great suggestions, but because it has been 48hrs and no answers.

In general - Xmas in Switzerland is a very family focused day - and this means that most of the restaurants, and even many of the smaller hotels are closed in Zurich. I know from experience that your options for a Xmas dinner on the evening of the 24th, on the day of the 25th, and even some of the 26th will be more limited than usual. to back me up I offer this post from EnglishForum.ch: englishforum.ch/entertainment-dining/102073-…

A couple places I have found are: Hotel-Krone, Restaurant Hiltl (vegetarian, open 365), and Hotel Zum Storchen. ...given the fact that there are many places closed, I would also strongly suggest you make a reservation in advance. Perhaps you would be best to contact your hotel (or one of the other larger hotels in Zurich) to see if they are mounting a nice Xmas buffet, ...or also ask if they have suggestions for you.

Sorry that I cannot be of better help, but those of us here in ZH ...well, we do our grocery shopping on the 23rd and prepare nice things at home for the following days. :-)

I do hope there will still be suggestions from others... and good luck.

Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
39,511 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich Christmas Day lunch - child friendly but high quality

Another issue will be finding a buffet. Christmas dinner is far more likely to be a several-course menu than a buffet, especially in a nice hotel. (The Storchen is a very nice hotel...) we aren't too wild about buffets here!

You might look at an American Hotel. I think there is a Park Hyatt in Zürich which might have something... or maybe the Marriott (near the station so not far from you).

3. Re: Zurich Christmas Day lunch - child friendly but high quality

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17