We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day question help!

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1 day question help!

I'll be arriving in Zurich around 2pm on a Saturday and am staying at Leonardo Boutique Rigihof Hotel (Universitätstrasse 101, Zurich, Switzerland). We plan to go straight to the hotel to drop off our bags then leave right away to explore Zurich.

1. On google maps, I see a bus station about 400 feet south from the hotel - can I use this (read: any bus station) to take me downtown to explore?

2. When I get downtown, can I just wander about or is it best to have a "plan"? We really just want to see the town, lake, cute shops and restaurants, or any other special sights (not planning on doing museums).

3. Can I hop back on any bus to the same bus stop as I departed from ? (Not sure how public transport works in Zurich)

4. I'll be traveling to Lucerne early the next morning, maybe at 7 or 8 am. Should I pre book our train tickets or just arrive 30 or so minutes early and buy at the station? Any things to know about traveling with a larger suitcase?

Thanks!!

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day question help!

Hi klc948

1. Yes. The Tram 10 stops here - you can take if from the airport to the hotel, and then continue to the main train station (Zurich HB) which is the "centre" of the downtown area.

2. The centre is small and pedestrian friendly. You can get a good tourist map and walking suggestions from the information centre in the train station - ...or just wander...

3. You will need to be on a Tram 9 or 10 (going in the correct direction) to get back to this stop - all stops are clearly marked, all have maps and timetables, and all have ticket machines. Buy a 24hr ticket (2x the price of a 1hr ticket) and then just get on and off from any door.

4. No need to pre-book - buy the ticket at the station. You can use the machines - they have an english selector - make sure your credit card has a PIN - OR - make sure the machine you use accepts Cash... or go to the counter. Larger suitcases are not a problem... perhaps stay on lower level if the train is a 2 level train... ;-)

Good luck.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day question help!

Thank you!

When I get to the airport, I can buy a 24 hour ticket and that will cover public transportation from the airport to the hotel, and then hotel to/from city center... is that correct?

How much does that ticket cost and where do I buy it?

When I get on the tram, do I swipe it or just show to someone?

SC
Level Contributor
38 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day question help!

Zurich is one of my favorite cities in the world, always feel at home there. It's so clean and transportation is so convenient. I would not miss a window shopping stroll along the Bahnhofstrasse. Take one of the cobblestone side streets for little shops or quaint restaurants. Stroll down to the lake and maybe take a boat to Rapperswil, have a drink or a bite to eat and then the train back to main station. Enjoy your trip !

4. Re: 1 day question help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:15