We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich in and around for 3 nights

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich in and around for 3 nights

My wife and I will be spending about 3 nights in zurich in september and would like to know places to visit in and around Zurich. Is it wise to hire a car and drive around or use public transport.

We are both interested in hiking/trekking more than visiting museums etc. Also we have already been to Lucerne, Interlaken, Jungfraujoch, Geneva and spent a day in Zurich city during our previous visit.

Thanks in advance.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich in and around for 3 nights

As a fan of public transport I would say that Zurich has an excellent public transport system of trains,trams,boats and buses. There are a range of local travel passes you could purchase. www.zvv.ch

Zurich's own mountain the Uetliberg can be reached by train from the main station, a popular walking excursion is to follow the ridge to Falsenegg and then the cable car down to the SZU railway back to Zurich.

You could also use the lake boat dropping off at various points and walking to the next. You can walk across the causeway from Rapperswill to Pfaffikon and return to Zurich by train.

Italy
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich in and around for 3 nights

Thank you for the prompt response. Appreciate your valuable tips, seems perfect. Will check it out.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich in and around for 3 nights

If you stay in Zurich, it would definitively be wise to use public transportation. Parking fees are astronomical here, traffic is heavy and finding your way by car not easy.

The walk from Uetliberg to Felsenegg is nice and easy and offers great views on a clear day. If you want to do some serious hiking in the higher mountains, I could recommend this one:

myswitzerland.com/en-ch/5-lake-classic.html

You would need to take the train to Sargans (1 hour) and then the bus to Wangs.

4. Re: Zurich in and around for 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:17