We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

Rancho Santa...
11 posts
Save Topic
Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

Hello! I have tried to find an existing post on this question, but can't find an exact answer. My husband and I (2adults) are arriving in Zurich at 9:50 on Saturday September 26, 2014. We plan on going straight to our hotel and exploring the city that day. We have a hotel booked from Saturday night and check out Tuesday (3 nights).

Sunday we were thinking of taking the earliest train from Zurich to Zermatt and returning back to Zurich the same day at night. I know this is a lot of traveling for a day trip. I have been to Zermatt, but my husband has not. We would like to go up to the Matterhorn as well as I did not get the chance last time I was there. Questions ----

What train/ticket can we get for same day travel to and from Zurich to Zermatt?

Is there a ticket that can also get us to the Matterhorn?

Is there somewhere/something you would suggest we do as a day trip in Switzerland leaving from Zurich?

We love the mountains, caves, glaciers, small towns, architecture, history. I would actually love to ski or snowboard somewhere if this is an option?.. My husband will watch or build a snow castle :) if there is any snow. I hope these interest will help in advising us.

Monday - No plans... Tour the city? Suggestions ?

Tuesday- We want to take an early train to Munich. Suggestions on which train and ticket will be most affordable would be appreciated. We will have two large pieces of luggage.

Thank you in advance!

Zurich Tourist Information – Offizielle Stadtfuhrungen
Visitor Centres, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Best of Switzerland Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Gray Line Zurich
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Foxtrail
Sightseeing Tours
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

Hi, it's about 3.5 hours each way from Zurich to Zermatt. There really isn't any lift or train to the Matterhorn - she just sits there in all her majesty. You can take various lifts out of the village and get wonderful views of the mountain. I think the best is the Gornergrat Railway which leaves from a station directly across from the main train station. Be sure to check the weather in Zermatt (www.zermatt.ch - not the general weather for the area) before you go because it would be a shame to get there and discover nothing but clouds! I would get a transfer ticket for the trip to Zermatt - it's the least expensive way to get there as long as you aren't making stops along the way. You have to buy it before you enter Switzerland but you have plenty of time to get it from Swiss Rail or a website like Rick Steves

www.sbb.ch/en

www.ricksteves.com

However, if you are traveling in 1st class on the trains, then you might consider a half fare card that you get in Switzerland and it will also give you half fare on the train and lifts in Zermatt as well as all your other transportation while you are in Switzerland including your train to Munich as far as the Swiss border. The half fare card is 120 francs and saves 50% of just about anything that moves as well as museums etc.

You could board in Zermatt but you really don't have time and the snow is really trash by the end of September for skiing or boarding.

I expect to be in Zermatt when you are planning your trip so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for great weather!

Rancho Santa...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

Awesome! Thank you so much for your response. If we don't care about traveling first class would you still suggest the half fare card? Is it 120 for each person? If we don't do that what would you suggest for getting to munich ? We will be taking one more train from Cologne to Bruges later in our trip.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

The 2nd class fare between Zurich and Zermatt is 238 francs round trip. The first class fare is 418. A half fare card is 120 per person so second class would cost about the same but your card would get you 50% off the all the lifts etc. in Zermatt as well as the Zurich trams as well as rail to anywhere else in Switzerland so it is a savings still. For example, the Gornergrat Railway in Zermatt is 84 francs but you get 50% off with the half fare card so there's a savings of 42 francs. That's pretty significant cash - would pay for a decent lunch!

I'm not very knowledgeable about the trains in Germany or Belgium but you can post on the Germany and Belgium forums and get lots of information, I'm sure.

Rancho Santa...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

Thank you for your help! Have a great time in Zermatt!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

You're very welcome. This will be a fairly short visit of just a week but I was just there in Feb and will be back this Jan/Feb and again in June, I think, so I'm not complaining! I hope you enjoy your time there as well!

6. Re: Train: Zurich to Zermatt day trip then Zurich to Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17