We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

I had maid several international calls from Amsterdam's Schiphol airport using payphone. That was my mistake. The Phone company charged my credit card per minute, as I expected, plus 40.00 US dollars for each, repeat each, connection. I haven't seen any signs on the phone related to those additional 40.00 USD "connection fee". They charged me even when no one had answered my calls. Unbelievable...

Had any one experienced similar situation? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,008 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

weve had similiar posts regarding this issue over the years..you may feel "ripped off" but it isnt illegal..my advice? dont do it again..and get an unlock gma quad band phone and buy a sim card when you get over there..

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

Sound encouraging...

I had used payphones in other airports, never had this problem.

Thank you!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

Wow 40US$ that's ridiculous! Are you sure it wasn't mentioned on the phone? I think they have to, right?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

$40.80 to be exact. I'll take a picture on my way home.

If anyone passing through Schiphol can take picture of one of payphone instructions and post it here. I would really appreciate.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,011 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

You chose to dial those advertised access numbers without 1st finding out how much it would cost you. Some similar post on the Japan forum a while ago.

Why don't you use your own calling card? Why not use USA Direct(still pricey but not 40USD for connection charge, more like 5)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

Hm.... I should've been a bit smarter. But that's not the case, my cellphone had died on me, and I had resorted to the old and used to be honest way to make calls.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

Yes it happened to me on one of my first trips. It was 100% my fault for not checking first. But then I learned.

Now I buy a 10 euro phone card and it allows me to make several calls back home.

You know what they say about ------assuming.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,879 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

That charge is outrageous. I would write to the airport to complain. Don't think you will get any money back but perhaps they don't know of this happening and I doubt if they make any money out of it directly.

They might take it up with the company concerned.

To proecess and set up your call would take less than a dollar so $40 is robbery.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

Thank you for all your support! I'll inform airport administration, and will post any new development.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,011 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Call US from Amsterdam Airport - pay 40 USD per connection

Not sure about Amsterdam but in many other international airports, 3rd party merchants just put stickers on/near payphones advertising their "low LD rates" and rip people off, while the airport authorities have no idea of what's going on. They should at least remove those stickers regularly.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 18:43