We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

Manchester, United...
5 posts
Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get to Maastricht from the UK? I live about two hours from London so it would be fairly easy to get the Eurostar, but not sure on which route and what changes to make. I am looking for the best way to get near Maastricht university for a weekend trip.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,452 posts
226 reviews
1. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

Hi there,

A) Eurostar. Change at its Brussels-Midi (South) terminus for the IC to Maastricht; that goes only on weekdays though, in weekend you need an extra transfer in Liege. www.b-rail.be gives timetables; for prices as far as I know there is an 'any Belgian station' add-on to Eurostar, which means you'd only need to buy that and then a futile low price for the last stretch Vise (border town) to Maastricht.

B) Flight. Ryanair does STN airport to Eindhoven at least, possibly also to Maastricht-Aachen airport. From Eindhoven it's bus and train, totally about 90-120 mins to Maastricht; from M-A airport about 30 mins by bus.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,170 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

From the Manchester area to STN is a bit of a trek. Ryanair don't fly to Maastrich from the UK. Easiest way to do this is fly Manchester to Amsterdam and then take the train from there.

Any other combination i.e. to Dusseldorf etc will take much longer due to the connections. By Eurostar you still have to get to London and change stations to St Pancras as Manchester trains use Euston. Will also probably be prohibitively expensive

Manchester, United...
5 posts
3. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

Hi thanks for the replies. I think you are right that a flight would be easier.

RonalidoC - Just wondering why Amsterdam- Maastricht would be easier than Eidnhoven-Masstricht. Eindhoven looks a lot closer on the map?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,452 posts
226 reviews
4. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

As I understand Ron's text he is of course agreeing that Eindhoven is closer. However that would bring the 3-4 hour journey from Manchester to STN airport for you. Schiphol to Eindhoven is 90 mins by train so out of balance with what you loose in the UK in extra time...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,170 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

Of course Eindhoven is closer but how close are you to STN?

Also Schiphol has a train station right below whereas Eindhoven airport requires you to take a bus into town so add approx 30 minutes to the journey.

Schiphol to Maastricht takes 2hr 35.

Eindhoven to Maastricht takes just over an hour plus the bus so an hour less than from Schiphol. however you are going to have much more choice of flights to AMS. It depends on where you are starting your journey from so only you will know that.

Manchester, United...
5 posts
6. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

Yes sorry I misunderstood. I think you are right - the easiest option will be to fly to Amsterdam and then get a train to Maastricht. Many thanks for the info - you have both been very helpful!

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

From 1st May 2011, Ryanair will offer daily flights from Stansted to Maastricht-Aachen Airport btw!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

Loads of Ryanair flights going for £12 each way, STN to Eindhoven , you lucky southerners.

9. Re: Best way to get to Maastricht from the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 12:18