We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

We will be in the Netherlands in July - we would love some feed back on some pretty villages that are worth visiting.

We will have a car.

Also if any one has some suggestions on a driving route that is both scenic and do-able from Bayuex in France to the Netherlands?

We are thinking either to make our way to the Rhine at Bingen following river to Koblenz then into The Netherlands OR maybe through Luxembourg into the Netherlands. OR does any one have any other suggestions?

We have been to Brugge twice before. We have about 4 or 5 days to do the trip.

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,062 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

Hi there,

Limburg has quite a few, e.g. Thorn. Consider the old Hansa towns along the Yssel-Rhine: e.g. Dieren (not Hansa but pretty), Zutphen, Deventer, Zwolle and Kampen. And Elburg, not far from Zwolle.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

But also, coming in from the south: Breda is worth a visit, In Zeeland yo'uve got Middelburg, in between those cities there's Bergen op Zoom

To get there you could take the route through the Ardennes (really nice pittoresque villages, lovely hills, nice vieuws), first via Lille (also a really great town to visit), Mons (lovely small town), Mechelen (very different from Lille and Mons, also an old town), Lier, Antwerp and than you are very close to Bergen Op Zoom

From there you can choose to go to Zeeland, to places like Goes, Middelburg and Vlissingen or go a bit more north to Breda and Dordrecht

-----------------

From Luxembourg it also is a nice trip through the Ardennes, you can do Trier as well, Vielsalm is nice (small), north through Liege, visit Maastricht, 's Hertogenbosch (really nice, do take the 'binnendieze-tocht', a boat- tour underneath the houses of the city), Nijmegen

----------------

Via Trier to Bingen, lot to see there as well (Kues, Trarbach etc.), following the Rhein you will come across alot of nice German places well worth a visit (don't forget Xanten, just before entering the Netherlands), again Nijmegen is the next place to visit, a bit Southe we again have 's Hertogenbosch, but going north the Hanze- steden like Zutphen are the places to be, going there you will also have a nice drive through the Veluwe., Going from Nijmegen a bit toward the centre of the Netherlands, Amersfoort is a nice town to visit.

Conclusion: there's a lot to see, Good luck choosing!

Venlo, The...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

Except from Dieren, I visited all the cities in The Netherlands mentioned in this thread so far.

I agree about visiting Zwolle, Zutphen and Elburg. Maastricht is nice too.

I consider Delft and Leiden to be very beautiful.

If you visit Zwolle you have to visit Giethoorn as well (Binnenpad street). Very small, but very pitoresque.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

yes, geithoorn is pretty cool...

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

Goede zo. Thanks for the great suggestions. I've taken some notes.

Cheers,

chuck.

dubai
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

hi guys..

i want to stretch the tooic abit..i will be visitng friesland (in particular wolvega) in the comng week. i know that there isnt much in the town itself, but business necesity we have to be there..any suggestion on near by cities? villages? anything around to do???????

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,062 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

Again Giethoorn, now you're not far from there from the north side! Furthermore Sneek, Hindeloopen, Bolsward - basically any town which is part of the 'Elf steden route' (Eleven cities) is quaint and vintage for at least a part of the centre.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

8. Re: suggestions for seeing pretty villages in the Netherlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 05:32