We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Alkmaar to Haarlem and Zandervoot - Roundtrip

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Alkmaar to Haarlem and Zandervoot - Roundtrip

I am spending 3 days in Amsterdam en route to London, arriving in Amsterdam on the 19th of May (morning). It will be my second visit to the Netherlands.

This time around, I would like to visit the Alkmaar cheese market early on Friday morning, then go on to Haarlem and do a walking tour there and visit a couple of attractions after which I would liketo go to the beach at Zandervoot and return to Amsterdam in the evening.

Should I buy a day pass for train travel, or separate tickets for each leg of the journey? Is a roundtrip ticket feasible for this trip? I know I have to backtrack to Amsterdam from Alkmaar to get to Haarlem and Zandervoot.

I look forward to your suggestions and advice and thank you in advance.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Amsterdam
Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
FreeDam Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
That Dam Guide
Day Trips, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,410 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Alkmaar to Haarlem and Zandervoot - Roundtrip

Hi there,

Buy a "roundtrip" Amsterdam-Alkmaar-Haarlem-Amsterdam. This is possible with the 'via' option on the ticketing machine. And then a return Haarlem-Zandvoort on same machine. No need for backtracking, there are direct trains Alkmaar-Uitgeest-Beverwijk-Haarlem too.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Alkmaar to Haarlem and Zandervoot - Roundtrip

Hi Erik,

Thank you so much for your reply. Can I buy the two tickets you have suggested at the Centraal Station ticket counter the day before (Thursday) and stamp it for use on Friday? I want to leave early in the morning on Friday and there are usually long lineups at the ticket counter.

I am a bit nervous about using the ticketing machine and don't mind paying the surchage at the ticket counter.

Can I buy these tickets online before I leave for my trip? I am comfortable with booking tickets online if I know what to input and you have provided me with those details.

Edited: 04 May 2011, 13:41
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,410 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam to Alkmaar to Haarlem and Zandervoot - Roundtrip

Hi again,

Yes can use undated ones. No the online tickets require a Dutch debit card, sorry; use the counter or the vending machine.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam to Alkmaar to Haarlem and Zandervoot - Roundtrip

Thanks a lot, Erik. I appreciate your help.

5. Re: Amsterdam to Alkmaar to Haarlem and Zandervoot - Roundtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:18