We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

My husband and I have booked a river cruise next year from Budapest to Amersterdam in concluding March 30. We plan to spend about 4 weeks travelling around Netherlands and Belgium using public transport.

I would really appreciate help in planning an itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

Not really any help on the itinerary, but a couple of things to do while you're there. Keukenhof should be open during your time there and that's always a good option.

http://www.keukenhof.nl/

Also, if you're into floral displays, next year is the year of the Floriade. That's a worlwide horticultural exhibition held in The Netherlands once every 10 years. Next years is being held at a specially created park near Venlo.

http://www.floriade.com/

Edited: 19 June 2011, 03:27
Mentioned in this post
Venlo
Venlo
Limburg Province, The Netherlands
Rockingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

Thank you. They are on my list. I have to work the timing because Floriade opens Easter weekend which probably isn't going to be the best time to be there.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

What are your interests? Big cities, countryside, history, festivals?

4. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 June 2011, 11:17
Rockingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

Mostly countryside with a bit of history. We would like to see some cities but not spend all of our time in them. If we happen to see any festivals that would be a bonus.

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

Thanks for the information. Maastricht sounds interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

In the Netherlands you might want to check out De Veluwe area. It's a nature area that is great for bike rides and there are also nice towns in the area, some dating back a long time with their historic centre almost entirely intact. For example Elburg or Harderwijk.

Or you cuold go to one of the small islands we have. Vlieland is an island where you cannot bring a car so there is not much traffic. It's a great place to be.

I also second the suggestion of Maastricht. I lived there for four years and loved it.

Mentioned in this post
Harderwijk
Harderwijk
Gelderland Province, The Netherlands
Vlieland
Vlieland
Friesland Province, The Netherlands
Maastricht
Maastricht
8. Re: Need help planning 4 weeks in Netherlands and Belgium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 13:18